PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and Electrical issues??

reefer31
05/02/2008, 07:10 PM
Straight to the point...I have a 20 amp breaker that powers 2 rooms in my condo. Right now im running a 29 gal with 1-250 light and the various pumps etc, with no issues. Im planning on upgrading to a 120 gallon and so was thinking about going with 2-250 de halides. Now, I estimate that the wattage for the tank will be about 600 or so for the lighting, and about 200 watts(kinda high estimate but rather go high than too low) for the pumps, and probably a 300 watt heater that kicks on at night or so. Now if everything is running it will be about 1100 watts just for the tank. Now if my wife needs to iron anything/vacuum the rooms etc, will the breaker pop?? The iron is about 1700 watts itself and the vacuum is a hog at 12 amps!! Im not sure why they wired the 2 rooms together because its frustrating!! If i cant go with 2-250's i will have to use 2-150s and actinics or t5, I have not decided. Anyways, any info would be appreciated, I dont want to screw up and spend more money because I didnt choose the best lighting etc. Thanks for reading

46bfinGA
05/02/2008, 07:53 PM
Straight to the point....
yes the breaker will trip if you add a 1700 watt Iron or a 12 amp vacuum to your circuit that has already got 1100 watts running. But will your tank be running at 9 amps 24/7? Probably not so just tell your wife she can only Iron or vacuum when the fish tank lights are off :)

J-Burns
05/02/2008, 08:53 PM
You could always plug the iron or vacuum into a receptacle in a different room. I would try it and see if you have problems as 46fin said everything probably won't be on at the same time.