PDA

View Full Version : ??? Xenia and Clove Polyps ????

Larah
05/03/2008, 03:22 PM
OK so I've had both of these and neither one seems to like my tank... Anyone have any ideas why?
And asre theset wo realted in some way? or do they like the same type of environment?

Here's my params:

Temp 79-80
SG 1.025
Cal 480
Mag 1400
PH 8.3
Alk- 8.4-9.1 (this keeps fluctuating to the low side. I sam now using B ionic 2 part and using Part 1 daily)

Zero Ammonia, Nitates & Nitrites...

Lotus99
05/03/2008, 07:04 PM
I've found both prefer medium to high lighting and lowish flow. Your water parameters seem OK. Low alk can definitely be a problem for corals.

What symptoms are you seeing?

Larah
05/03/2008, 07:51 PM
Well.. They kinda shrivel up and die...
The Clove Polyps stopped opening and the xenia became one with the rock it was on... As far aas lighting I have 400 watts of PC lighting in 50 gallons which should be enouch to sustain them... My flow is perhaps a bit in the high side.. When I have the Korallia 3 on it really blows everyting around...

Aquarist007
05/03/2008, 08:15 PM
your tank is just to clean for them---try some leathers, colt coral, torch coral, mushrooms--they will go great in your tank

I know you have zoos--how are they doing

Bud Reeferman
05/03/2008, 08:55 PM
I think I'd first try to drop the temp to 77-79. Everything else seems right. They don't like constant direct flow. Try a wavemaker to turn the powerhead on and off for a little back and forth motion. Try some direct feed with a baster and have the powerhead off or at lowest flow.

styndall
05/03/2008, 09:00 PM
My xenia don't seem to like direct flow. They do best in an eddy where the current isn't strong. A little, enough to make the stalks wave a bit, is great, but if they're blowing around strongly, they'll pull in. Mine grew like crazy in a fishless 3-gallon with 18 watts of PC, and they're still growing strong under new conditions.

marioensf
05/03/2008, 10:34 PM
I have the same issue with xenia, no success at all, friend gave me a small stalk on a snail shell and placed it in the HOB refugium it opened right away week after I put it in the main tank inside a plastic when I came home it was shrunk or almost gone...
later saw the tangs picking on it like a weed... so i placed the remainings on the shell back into the fuge see if it comes back and makes it this time.
Some people just consider xenia almost a pest and those of us who like it have to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to try to grow it
I don't spend any more on it, if my friends need to get rid of xenia from now on they count on me, after all is take it or trash it.
Does it like (xenia) little nitrates?

Larah
05/03/2008, 11:01 PM
Well that's EXACTLY what happened with mine! I too have heard that I am lucky as Xenia can be a real weed...

Yes Captn' I have all of those things that you mentioned! LOL!
I will take some new pics and upload them tomorrow...
Just picked up an AWESOME orange Fungia today.. and yes I do have a lot of Zoos! I LOVE them! So far my tank is mostly softies, LPS and a leather...
Guess i'll focus on my successes and not my failures. My tank will just have to do without Xenia or Clove Polyps! :D

Aquarist007
05/03/2008, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12466268#post12466268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Larah

Guess i'll focus on my successes and not my failures. My tank will just have to do without Xenia or Clove Polyps! :D

exactly--well said:smokin: