PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a "double-bubble" trap on my sump?

downhillbiker
05/03/2008, 07:14 PM
I am purchasing a sump from a local reefer and it is an old tank that has a bubble trap before the return chamber, but my HOB skimmer puts out a lot of bubbles. do i need to glue in a second bubble trap just in case?

reefergeorge
05/03/2008, 08:50 PM
IMO No. If you have it set up right with a reasonable flow through the sump. You won't have a problem. On my 90 I don't use any baffles in my sump, and don't have any problems with micro bubbles.

downhillbiker
05/03/2008, 09:55 PM
i guess i will just set it up with the 1 bubble trap and if i still get micro bubbles i will add another.

one thing i can say is that it will be much less bubble action than i have right now with the skimmer hanging on the tank.

HighReef
05/03/2008, 11:40 PM
Try to adjust the skimmer to eliminate the micro bubbles. I used to have a lot of bubbles in my tank doesn't matter what I do, until I played with the water level for the skimmer and eliminated the bubbles from the source.

ghostman
05/04/2008, 01:11 AM
A filter sock will help eliminate bubbles as well as catch particles. Just keep a few in rotation to keep them clean.

downhillbiker
05/04/2008, 01:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12466415#post12466415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HighReef
Try to adjust the skimmer to eliminate the micro bubbles. I used to have a lot of bubbles in my tank doesn't matter what I do, until I played with the water level for the skimmer and eliminated the bubbles from the source.

i have tried adjusting the skimmer a lot and it doesnt seem to help. it is a HOB multi skimmer and the filter cartridges went bad. i have more on order so that should help, since they are after the skimmer unit. the skimmer is just dialed in too well now for me to mess with. it just pull so much good skimmate.

downhillbiker
05/04/2008, 01:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12466644#post12466644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghostman
A filter sock will help eliminate bubbles as well as catch particles. Just keep a few in rotation to keep them clean.

in addition to the filter cartridges that are on order i will put a filter sock on the end of my down tube. that should help, and i guess thats probably a good idea anyway. and probably way easier to clean than my canister filter.

i will still keep the canister filter on the tank, and probably just run both. i really like the canister for carbon, carbon works better under pressure.

thanks