PDA

View Full Version : New camera, and now a different red bug question

Toddrtrex
05/03/2008, 09:04 PM
So I got a new camera last weekend and was just taking some close ups of my 75, and I found what I didn't want to see.

I've done all the reading about red bugs and know what I have to do, but...

Here is my question, I can't do a full tank treatment until the beginning of July at the earliest. ( vacation and back surgery ). After tanking a bunch of pictures I can only notice them on two corals. Would it it help at all to just treat those now, or wait until I can do the whole tank?

Should be noted that I haven't gotten any new corals for that tank for at least 6 months. So I am assuming that I've these for a while now. Still getting good growth and decent PE (( as decent as can have with angels in the tank ))

And for giggles, here is a picture. The color of the coral is better in person, I messed with the white balance so that the bugs could be seen better. And the polyps are closed because I had taken the coral out of the tank to try to get a better picture.

Thanks,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/redbugs.jpg

ipiniowa
05/03/2008, 09:31 PM
They will attack just certain corals. I waited almost 2 months before I started the treatment on my 210. No problems with the corals and the issue is iradicated.

Toddrtrex
05/03/2008, 09:35 PM
And you are thinking that since I most likely have had them for 6 months that a couple more wouldn't hurt?

But, would there be any benefit of doing an interceptor dip on the affected ones?

ipiniowa
05/03/2008, 09:46 PM
I would say with you knowing about it for 6 months, then they are other places in your tank. If there is no tissue necrosis yet you might be ok. I did 3 treatments on my 210 in a 3 week period of time because they had not made it to a few of the other corals they should be infesting, and I knew that I had the problem for a while. The only issue I had was the 360 gallons of water I changed in 3 weeks. That's a lot of salt.

Toddrtrex
05/03/2008, 09:50 PM
Actually I didn't know about it until tonight, but I am assuming that they have been there for at least 6 months, since I think that was when I got my last coral.

Wow, that is a lot of salt, lucky for me this is in my 75, and ONLY in my 75.

I am assuming that they are all over my tank, just can't see them yet. And all the corals are still doing okay.

Thanks, think I may wait until July when I will be able to do all the water changes.