PDA

View Full Version : Water clarity between bare bottom vs. sand bed

EarthBrain
05/04/2008, 12:23 AM
Is there a difference in water clarity between bare bottom tank and sand bed tank?

Is the water of tank that is bare bottom not as clear as the sand bed one since the debris would be suspended in the water column instead of being trapped in the sand?

kev apsley
05/04/2008, 02:11 PM
I don't find this to be the case, most people have some sort of mechanical filtration to trap particulates in either kind of set up

MCsaxmaster
05/04/2008, 04:25 PM
I doubt very much that there is any consistent pattern one way or the other. Light attenuation through aquarium water is usually pretty low, regardless of how the aquarium is maintained.

panic
05/04/2008, 07:47 PM
End the end, husbandry dictates your clarity with either method no matter how you argue it.

glxtrix
05/05/2008, 10:12 AM
Lots of BB people run filter socks to catch those particles. Personally I let them float around, I feel they are essential to a healthy reef. Think about it, that floating food for SPS, just like in the ocean :)

sjames
05/05/2008, 11:09 AM
same here, I have lots of particulates floating around in my water.

I only run a filter sock when Im vaacuming the bottom and blowing off the rocks.

xhappyx
05/11/2008, 09:12 PM
i have a bb tank and i run filter socks on both drains and have 2 1200gph pumps on the back glass pointing down keeping everything pushed to the front for easy vacumming.