View Full Version : Purigen vs. GAC?

reefnetworth
05/04/2008, 07:17 PM
which provides better filtration? :confused:

thanx,
reefnetworth

nemodude
05/04/2008, 10:42 PM
I prefer purigen over activated carbon because it doesn't remove any of the beneficial trace elements that your corals need to survive and thrive. Plus you can easily regenerate it using a simple bleach/water solution.

xJake
05/04/2008, 10:47 PM
+1 for Purigen

reefnetworth
05/05/2008, 09:36 AM
thanx yall' i shall go back to the Purigen.
i got a 5 lb. bag of GAC from my LFS for $5.00, so when its exausted i will go Purigen again!

seapug
05/05/2008, 11:02 AM
Purigen is better than bargain brand GAC (which should be avoided, in general), but I tried Purigen and didn't like it as much as Seachem Matrix Carbon. Just my experience....

nemodude
05/05/2008, 05:37 PM
I like it too because it darkens as it gets dirtier over time, so you know exactly when to recharge it or buy some new purigen. However the process of renewing it is super easy, as long as you don't use stress coat in your aquarium. stress coat sticks to the purigen particles and makes it hard to regenerate it.

schmidt01
05/05/2008, 06:48 PM
I'm not a fan of Purigen... it keeps seeping out of the filter bags I use. I'm really not sure how... the material the bags are made of is fine enough not to allow the purigen through. I'm guessing the purigen is getting out at the top of the bag, but I've tried bags that tie and ones that close with velcro and I still have the same problem. Purigen ends of getting all over my tank, which can't be good. I won't be using it anymore.

mikesommers
05/05/2008, 07:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12477332#post12477332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schmidt01
I'm not a fan of Purigen... it keeps seeping out of the filter bags I use. I'm really not sure how... the material the bags are made of is fine enough not to allow the purigen through. I'm guessing the purigen is getting out at the top of the bag, but I've tried bags that tie and ones that close with velcro and I still have the same problem. Purigen ends of getting all over my tank, which can't be good. I won't be using it anymore.

I always find the hole normally at the seam. Then use a lighter to seal it. As long as you use the nylon bags it comes in and make sure the seams are good its fine. I have used it for 2 1/2 years. Its the bomb!!!!!!!!:D

Rendos
05/05/2008, 07:35 PM
The only bag you can use for Purigen is Seachem's "The Bag". It will seep out of just about every other bag out there. I like Purigen, and use it in my tanks.

dbmtrman
05/05/2008, 09:08 PM
has anyone ever tried purigen in a phosban reactor like the two little fishes phosban reactor? was wondering if it was possible.

seapug
05/05/2008, 09:31 PM
Yes. That's how I used it and it was a waste of money. The surface of the purigen solidified into a rock and kept escaping through the plates and sponges. The Matrix carbon works MUCH better in a reactor.

dbmtrman
05/05/2008, 09:56 PM
will the matrix carbon work at nitrate reduction as well?

nemodude
05/15/2008, 12:51 PM
damn, I just bought a phosban reactor and was plannin on trying it in there.

nemodude
05/15/2008, 12:53 PM
btw, has anybody tried to "regenerate" it with bleach like it says you can on the bottle? I tried it and it seemed to work, although the stuff didn't turn pure white like when I originally put it in the tank. kinda like an off white creamy color.