PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di ???

ODShaun
05/04/2008, 11:16 PM
hey guys, just wondering what a decent to a near perfect ro/di systems are out there?? any recommendations and where to purchase... And while i was looking into these systems, obviously there are many types and brands. My question is, the DI filter canister, is it the one thats horzontal on top of the actual system which looks to be a smaller canister vs. the ones that are vertical ??? thanks

D to the P
05/04/2008, 11:43 PM
I know a lot of people like the ones off of the Filter Guys website, you can see the link in the sponsor's section. The DI cannister is vertical. The horizontal one is a membrane that can be found on RO only units as well.

AZDesertRat
05/05/2008, 09:19 AM
You want a unit with a full size 20 oz vertical canister just like the other filters are in. the horizontals hold less resin, do not filter as well or last as long and tend to short circuit or channel so are not as good.
The near perfect RO/DI is the Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI or better yet the MaxCap UHE 1:1 waste system. Both are proven systems that outperform any other system on the market hands down.

Michael
05/05/2008, 09:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12473719#post12473719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
You want a unit with a full size 20 oz vertical canister just like the other filters are in. the horizontals hold less resin, do not filter as well or last as long and tend to short circuit or channel so are not as good.
The near perfect RO/DI is the Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI or better yet the MaxCap UHE 1:1 waste system. Both are proven systems that outperform any other system on the market hands down.

i disagree, everything you said is indeed true, but the part about horizontals not filtering as well as the verticals, this in my opinion is not true, i agree they probably do not last as long and do hold less resin but my tds meter on my ro-di says the output is 0, if this is the case how can it be beaten, surely 0 is 0, i do agree though desert rat it holds less resin and probably wont last as long and the spectrapure probably is the best but 0 is 0 so verticle cant be better at filtering than horizontal its the same just more economic:)

rjsilvers
05/05/2008, 09:50 AM
It's pretty easy to take a horizontal DI chamber and flip it 90 degrees..... I wouldn't base my purchase on what position the DI chamber is in.

Michael
05/05/2008, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12473948#post12473948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rjsilvers
It's pretty easy to take a horizontal DI chamber and flip it 90 degrees..... I wouldn't base my purchase on what position the DI chamber is in.

ha ha good point, nothing else to say really:)

AZDesertRat
05/05/2008, 11:38 AM
Standing it on its end helpsbut it is still not nearly as efficient.
If you flip it vertical make sure the flow enters from the bottom and travels up so all resin gets wetted. Thats the problem with horizontals, water travels along the bottom and the top resin gets bypassed, thats fact not opinion and there is no debate.
Then figure in the smaller amount of resin, often only 6 oz instead of 20 oz. A vertical will outshine it every time. Make sure you pack it correctly too, most e-bay type units are poorly packed and the resin just bobs around. They must be packed tightly, tapped on the table or counter top, packed again and repeated again so there are no voids. resin shrinks slightly with use so get it as tight as possible so water has to force its way around the resin making sure all resin and water come into contact with each other.

Michael
05/05/2008, 11:52 AM
well thanks for clarifying that az, makes sence, 0 is 0 though isnt it, i have a ro-man ro-di unit, its british, im not familiar with yours, however i know you know your stuff, i wasnt trying to be awkward but just felt vertical and horizonal units are equal except efficency, hope you see what im saying, not being awkward honest:)

AZDesertRat
05/05/2008, 12:13 PM
0 is not always 0. Take a look at Spectrapures Sponsors Forum, there is a sticky at the top that explains it.

That being said, most anything is better than tap water if it is maintained properly though.