PDA

View Full Version : What ate my yellow polyps???

Johnabennett66
05/05/2008, 07:31 PM
Had a small piece of rubble with about 10 yellow polyps. Added 10 Margarita Snails about 10 dyas ago and now all but one of the polyps are gone. Haven't caught them snacking. Just a guess. Also have 3 Mexican turbos, some hermits, 2 clowns, a firefish, a bicolor, and engineer goby. Any thoughts?

oldschooldino
05/05/2008, 08:10 PM
I don't see anything in your list that is a likely polyp eater. My guess is that you have a very sly, probably nocturnal hitchhiker. I would settle in for some night viewing and see if you see anything unexpected noshing on your remaining polyp.

Johnabennett66
05/06/2008, 04:45 AM
Damn. Now th elast one is gone. Speaking of hitchhikers, the few pretty polyps that hitchhiked in on other corals seem to have disappeared, too. I also have a cleaner shrimp in there, and to clarify, the bicolor is a dottyback. I've had a problem keeping peppermint shrimp in the past as they all disappeared, too. I do a fair amount of night-viewing, but have never noticed a substantial hitchhiker.

BangkokMatt
05/06/2008, 06:13 AM
Yellow polyps have a tendency to just melt at will. It is unlikely that you have something which ate them. The yellows can just disappear over night.