PDA

View Full Version : chevron vs yellow tang?

DevilBoy
05/06/2008, 11:14 AM
Is it possible to put a chevron in the same tank with a yellow tang?

Different body styles would it would?

3D-Reef
05/06/2008, 05:15 PM
As long as the chevron is put in first,they should be OK.If the yellow tang is already there,then probably not.

suasponte2/75
05/06/2008, 11:49 PM
I've got a Yellow and Chevron together. I also have a Desjardini as well. Although, they are in a 180G. I had the yellow first for over 5 years in my 60G. Then when I upgraded to a 180G, decided to add a chevron and then desjardini last. It's probably the worst order to add them but it's been working fine for me over the last 2 years. Also, the yellow's the smallest, then chevron and desjardini.

In a 90G I think you may be okay if they're introduced together and you have lots of swimming room. The chevron grows quick, by the way, compared to my yellow.

HTHs,

Minh

Reeftanks6
05/07/2008, 05:19 AM
Yea i think you should be fine as everybody said chevron first then yellow. The chevron will grow faster then the yellow. Just like suasponte said.

DevilBoy
05/07/2008, 05:32 AM
I think that is what i am going to do... I like the Chevron. GSMguy recommended me to put a yellow tang in my tank. I also like the yellows. So thought i would see if i would be able to put both of them in my 90

What other fish do you recommend i put in with them.

As of now i have

Rods onyx (getting another when they are ready)
gold sleeper head goby ( going to GSMguy tho as soon as i can catch him)

going to add

Chevron tang
Yellow tang

and other suggestions?

black_majik
05/07/2008, 02:43 PM
Nothing else you have two herbivores who will be creating a lot of destritus.

Chevron is a bristletooth tang specializing in feeding of filamentous algae.

Whereas the yellow is a "regular" herbivore and feeds off of "string" algae.

I see only one issue and that being the tank size. 90 is too small for two tangs period ,but you are adding a smaller bristletooth so it can even out. IMO the yellow is too big for a 90 but again that is an opinion. As for growth, I don't think anyone truly knows which grows faster only experience would tell. ( suasponte) Naturally a yellow is more aggresive so if you do decide to add both go chevron first. Good Luck!

vanmo92
05/07/2008, 02:45 PM
Chevron needs to be added first, or at least at the same time as the yellow tang.