PDA

View Full Version : Motorized Light Track

fittiger
05/06/2008, 01:52 PM
Could someone point me to some articles/threads or DIY ideas on how to get one of these set up?

Does anyone that has set one of these up have any feedback on its use?

Thanks

Jar*Head
05/06/2008, 02:48 PM
Hello Fittiger, i have use the Light track in my 240g tank before. It work very well. Can you be more specific of what are you trying to do? How big is your tank? How many light are you planning to move? etc...

fittiger
05/06/2008, 03:09 PM
Jar*Head...and others who might have suggestions -

I have a 3ft tank, with one 250w de metal halide on a luminarc mini pendant. I don't want to add any more light because this set up is in my room and it puts off enough heat as it is. I'm limited to placing sps soley in the 12"-15" center of the tank.

I was hoping to find a way to automatically move the light on a track, preferably down the track over one light cycle, but realize this may not be an option and am willing to have a constantly moving light.

The only real option I've found is the Light Rail 3.5, but it moves 2 feet per minute....that seems like overkill for the actual 2.5 feet mine would be required to move.

As is, the bottom of the pendant is about 9" off the surface of the water, so I have limited hanging space as well...although I would consider changing pendants if I could get this to work out.

Thanks for any insight.

Jar*Head
05/06/2008, 03:33 PM
Basically the light only need to move 1-1.5f. The 3.5 light rail and 5rpm motor is the smallest i see available. You will need to get the stabilizer bar to keep your reflector straight. You will need approx 2f of clearance for the light rail, motor and pendant...

fittiger
05/06/2008, 03:42 PM
Are there any other options I'm missing? DIY versions? Might I ask how yours was set up?

I just started researching this so I'm open to suggestions or even deterrants if it's not worth it.

Jar*Head
05/06/2008, 03:44 PM
I mount my light rail into the ceiling :D. I now Hahn also using the light mover.

JNye
05/06/2008, 03:55 PM
what about a lumen bright large. that should cover almost 3 feet. You may need a 400 watter though.

Paulairduck
05/06/2008, 04:44 PM
Here are my two frag growout tanks

These movers are great!!!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/Aquafrags/lightrailpics002.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/Aquafrags/lightrailpics003.jpg