PDA

View Full Version : Things you should have done before filling the tank

bkvreef
05/06/2008, 05:52 PM
I am fortunate that I am going to be upgrading to a 210g.

In doing that I realized I need to be more organized with my electrical outlets.

Do a better job of placing my stand.

I am looking for others!

HumanIMDB
05/06/2008, 05:58 PM
Make sure there is enough room to get your hands in behind the tank if it is up against the wall. There are a million things going on back there that you will need to reach the minute your tank is full. :)

Tswifty
05/06/2008, 06:01 PM
Planned for my support bracing system for my plumbing... Not fun for the exact reason explained above!

Squeezing back here was a MAJOR PITA!!!
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/tswifty8/finalbrakcets.jpg

snguyen77
05/06/2008, 06:07 PM
make sure all of the plumming is correct and have enough room to work. there is nothing worst the having to rearrange your plumming after the tank is filled.

Aquarist007
05/06/2008, 06:36 PM
plan for support bracing under the floor too

Aquarist007
05/06/2008, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12484986#post12484986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bkvreef
I am fortunate that I am going to be upgrading to a 210g.

In doing that I realized I need to be more organized with my electrical outlets.

Do a better job of placing my stand.

I am looking for others!

I hope you run a build thread with lots of pictures--I will have to do the same thing in another year because of my tangs
(well that's the wife reason--really because I want to ;) )

hawkeyes
05/06/2008, 06:46 PM
make sure the stand is level.
not so much a problem with my 10g nano, but i doubt i could tilt a 210 by hand :)

HumanIMDB
05/06/2008, 06:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12485387#post12485387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hawkeyes
make sure the stand is level.
not so much a problem with my 10g nano, but i doubt i could tilt a 210 by hand :)

We levelled the stand, added some water, levelled it again, added some more water, then let it sit over night, and then levelled it again. We then had to do a few minor adjustments once it was full and had sat for a few days.

The nice thing about being in an apartment is having a concrete floor with a concrete load bearing wall in close proximity to the tank. :)

When we get a house we're going to spend a lot of time planning the fish tank and fish room. ;)

Bud Reeferman
05/06/2008, 06:57 PM
If you're going with anything taller than 30" you may want to consider a permanent mounting of the bulk of the rockscaping. Avalances in deep tanks are a BIG pain. I saw some good threads in this space a while back about adhering rock to a eggcrate frame and positioning before waterfill.

Capt_Cully
05/06/2008, 07:12 PM
Fresh water test of plumbing. Not a big deal in a 75 gallon. 210?, major problem if you get a leak.

Brace the floor!

Auto Top off!-evap will be big

Large output RO/DI

Large storeage bins for water changes and top off water.

AAAAAND

I'd highly recommend a separate fish room or basement sump to deal with the large volumes of waste water and new water for water changes. Plumb in out spouts and pumps to add new water. No one likes to siphon out 5, 5 gallon buckets at a time, and walk it outside or to a drain.

I'm babbling now......