PDA

View Full Version : HELP! skimmer air inlet clogging problem

pusanpa
05/06/2008, 11:36 PM
My coralife in sump skimmer has overflowed again today.
The problem is salt creep build up in the air tubing where air goes into the impeller.
Now it is happening like every two week.:rolleye1:

I have cleaned my skimmer last month but it has not solve the problem.

Please let me know if you know how to deal with this problem.

Thanks,

Joe

alve
05/07/2008, 12:42 AM
Put the air tubing in a cup of warm water to clean it out and then attach a longer air tubing going away from your sump.
I had the same problem and extended the air tubing to about 5ft, going outside my stand where no salt creep can get into it. Haven't had a problem since then and it has been a couple months now.

Theron
05/07/2008, 02:19 AM
I have heard that you could place your skimmer pump on a timer that shuts of the skimmer for about 10 minutes a day. When the pump is off, salt water will fill the tube and disolve the salt.

I did not have a spare timer so I aligned the hose from my auto top off to spray fresh water into the air tubing of the skimmer. It has done a good job of keeping it clean.

nava405
05/07/2008, 03:28 AM
i had corallife skimmer before when i had my 75 gallon, however, in the beginning i thought the problem with over flow was cuz the airline tube got stuck, but i found that it's just the way it is.After i switch skimmer, never have that problem again.

pusanpa
05/07/2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for help guys. I will try warm water + longer tubing.

Joe