PDA

View Full Version : Stringy Poop ?'s

sdunkin
05/07/2008, 01:39 AM
I have a pair of True Percs, grade B picassos to be specific, that I have had for just over a month. I have noticed that they have had stringy poop since shortly after I got them. At first I attributed it to the fact that they may of been eating mysis at the LFS, but they still have it. It isn't getting worse, and is maybe a little better, but they are still having it. Is there any way to treat this without moving them to a QT?

They are eating prepared foods fairly well (rotating Formula 1 & 2 pellets, prime reef flake, cyclopeeze granules, and ora glow), but they won't hardly touch frozen. I have a 5.5 gallon that I can set up to use, along with a submersible UV sterilizer (won't fit into display tank though), but I am really afraid that the stress would cause more harm than good. I may be able to re-arrange their tank to fit the sterilizer in, would just adding it be enough to help?

Dooly
05/07/2008, 05:35 AM
I had the same problem, but I found my percs had parasites and the waste was white and stringy.. and they didn't really eat until I treated them.. only 1 eats now.. other hasn't eaten in 1 week..

If they don't show other signs of parasites or stress (rapid breathing, scratching against objects, visible signs) other than waste being stringy. I would just let them be for a while? As long as they are eating and look healthy..

MarinaP
05/07/2008, 05:51 AM
You can try PraziPro.

Poisonus Yeti
05/07/2008, 07:46 AM
I treated mine with PraziPro in a QT tank. Took two treatments but the clowns are healthier than ever and I can already see a difference in growth since treating.

seafansar
05/07/2008, 12:07 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you use the PraziPro at the same time as copper? I'm treating my clowns for ich with Cupramine, and one of them has stringy poop also. It looks like it's getting worse and now the clown stopped eating.

bugbdon
05/07/2008, 12:15 PM
i used prazipro also on my clowns.....worked great, but i would do 2 treatment sessions...just follow the directions. it should clear it up for you. mine eat like champs now

sdunkin
05/07/2008, 06:03 PM
Dumb question, Can you use PraziPro in a display tank (softy reef with some LPS) or do you have to QT? I am just worried that the move would stress them more than it would help (if that makes any sense). They are acting fine except for being finicky eaters, and the occasional stringy poops.

Also, would I need to treat the Green Banded Goby that is with them? It only eats pods, so I really doubt that it would do well for very long in a QT.

bugbdon
05/08/2008, 01:04 PM
um...well.....there could be beneficial worms in your display that you wouldn't want to lose. further more, having a QT tank would be better for them because they won't have to compete for food and it will be more of a "quiet" environment. i set up my QT for under 50 bucks and it did the trick. as far as the Green Banded Goby, i wouldn't treat it unless you see symptoms.

kes_reef
05/09/2008, 12:55 AM
have you ever tried feeding nori, soaked in vitachem? what I do is tear small pieces of nori and then soak them with vitachem and/or garlic juice. my true perculas love it.

sdunkin
05/10/2008, 12:50 AM
They eat prepared foods like flakes and pellets okay, but I personally prefer feeding frozen food and I have always heard it is better for them. They are still eating fairly well, and are acting fine. I haven't seen any stringy poop in a few days. Is it possible that they are getting over it without treatment?