PDA

View Full Version : Cyno and light

guntercb
05/07/2008, 05:38 PM
I have what I think is a cynobacteria in my tank. It is a dark brown reddish mat that easily blows off the rock and sandbed.

Monday night I decided to do a 3 day period with the tank lights off. I am currently on day 2. However, what I think is cyno appears much worse. It appears that twice as much of the tank is now coated with two days of the light being off.

Can cyno spread without using photosynthesis?

Is it possible I have some other form of algae?

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

ghostman
05/07/2008, 05:50 PM
I battled cyano for a while, and I think that is what you have. I cured my problems by doing things to reduce the phosphate levels in the tank.
1. Use only RO or RO/DI water for your makeup water. Tap water has too much crud in it.
2. Increase flow in the tank with an extra powerhead or two.
3. Siphon out as much as you can regularly as you do water changes.
4. Use a phosphate remover, and change it out frequently at first. I liked Rowaphos, but there are others that are cheaper.
5. Feed a little less.
6. Use filter socks or other media to remove particulates, clean it often (daily).

Following these steps should eliminate your cyano problem quickly. I never had luck with the lights out method, and have never tried using meds (eurythromycin) to kill it. I prefered a bit more natural method. Good luck.

demonsp
05/07/2008, 06:32 PM
Is this in the 3 yr tank or a new setup? Whats used for water flow in this tank and any water readings?

guntercb
05/07/2008, 06:43 PM
Lance,

This tank has been set up for almost 2 years now.

My nitrates read 0 using a Salifret test kit and my PO4 measures 0.05 PPM using a hanna tester.

I have about 3600 gph in a 120 gallon tank. One return doing about 1200 gph and two 6045 nanos.

Thanks,
Chris

demonsp
05/07/2008, 06:51 PM
Not sure why there called nanos. Flow might be good your at base line. How are they pointed?
A tank pic would be great is that possible?

guntercb
05/07/2008, 07:08 PM
Lance,

The problem is I have a few LPS and they don't like much flow.

I probuably want be able to post a picture. )-:

Thanks,
Chris

Aquarist007
05/07/2008, 07:31 PM
If you have cyano then you are importing phosphates and or nitrates to feed it.
Turning the lights off doesn't solve this problem so quite often when the lights are turned back on the cyano is back
Ghostman had some great suggestions above
On top of that I would take a turkey baster once a week and lightly baste the substrate--that will put accumultated organics ect back into the water column where the can be filtered off

demonsp
05/07/2008, 07:34 PM
LPS not only love flow but need it. You need to adjust coral to flow.Get your flow right and everybody would be much happier. You have good flow amount but placement or LR placement could be restricting it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12493290#post12493290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by guntercb
Lance,

The problem is I have a few LPS and they don't like much flow.

I probuably want be able to post a picture. )-:

Thanks,
Chris

demonsp
05/07/2008, 07:35 PM
LPS with good steady flow.Started with 2 half dead heads.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/demonsperm/Picture016.jpg