PDA

View Full Version : LIVE sand sources

Ken250
05/07/2008, 06:39 PM
Just finished reading through "Natural Filtration - Part 2". I am planning on following WaterKeeper's advice, however I have not been able to find any LIVE sand suppliers.

Any suggestions on where I can source live sand (with sand-shifting organisms)? Any in Canada would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ken

bertoni
05/07/2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know of any sources for live sand that I'm willing to recommend at this time. IPSF.com sold a similar type of product that was okay in the past, but I haven't ordered in a long time, and they sell it only as part of a package.

raggie
05/07/2008, 07:57 PM
buying live sand might be hard considering not to many sell sand for there fish tanks, your best bet is just to get some sand from a pets tore and buying live rock and letting your tank cycle threw and the sand will automatically become "live" once the rocks seed it. this way you will eliminate the risk of carrying over some harmful hitchhikers or diseases that might be hidden the the sand from a established tank

Aquarist007
05/07/2008, 08:02 PM
I would buy new "dead" argonite sand and seed it with one cup of sand from the LFS or a friends tank

bubbas12
05/07/2008, 08:07 PM
Check out Sea Life Florida at www.sealifeinc.net

They are located in Key Largo Florida and and aqauculture live sand and live rock.

My 34 gallon tank is stocked with their live sand and live rock. The stuff was crawling with life from day one.

I am fortunate that I live in South Florida, so I drove down to pick up my rock and sand from Ken. I put it all in a few huge coolers covered with water from his system. I had no die of and virtually no cycle.

Ken ships the sand and rock all over the country. I think the sand is shipped in a bag with water to keep it live.

Ken is a great guy and will answer all of your questions.

Good Luck.

sjj80
05/07/2008, 09:06 PM
I've used caribsea live sand in the past. www.drsfostersmith.com sells it.

jsolomito
05/08/2008, 12:24 AM
Another great source is Tampa Bay Saltwater. They have a sponsor forum on this site. I'm in the process of setting up a 135 gal. tank and the service has been excellent. LR and live sand is aquacultured in the gulf, harvested and transported underwater, and stored underwater in holding tanks until shipment to a local airport, also underwater (the sand that is-not the airport :)! Practically no die off at all and teeming with life. There is no such thing as "curing" with this stuff as it is all fresh. You may have to pick it up at an airport south of the border though as I don't think they ship international. Check out the forum for more info. I couldn't be happier with my experience.
Joe

Ken250
05/08/2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

It looks like I'll have to make a trip south of the border to find sand-shifting organisms, as neither TBS or IPSF export.

Ken

jpsg007
05/08/2008, 09:44 AM
You could always add something like Southdown play sand (silica free) along with sand sifting creatures. And the sand will become live sand over time.

Gtstricky
05/08/2008, 10:08 AM
I second TBS for Rock and Sand if you can not get it local. Here is an amazing (400 gal?) tank in CA that was stocked from them. He drove to Seattle airport to pick it up:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436

bobt2
05/08/2008, 10:20 AM
tbs is the way to go!