PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank heat idea

MMM33732
05/08/2008, 01:44 PM
So instead of using a heater to heat quarantine tanks, I was wondering if a closed loop from the main tank would work like a chiller only it would heat rather than cool. Basically a powerhead would pump water from the sump or display through a 1/2" pvc pipe that runs though the quarantine tank and back into the sump. Think this would be sufficient to keep the quarantines water the same or at least close to it as the display?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/172523qtheat.JPG

Radioheadx14
05/08/2008, 02:05 PM
Probably not, PVC is more of insulator and not much heat would be transfered. you would have to use metal coils... and lots of them. plus the water running through would have to be hotter than what you want the tank to be since there wouldn't be 100% transfer of heat.

I would recommend an inline heater if you dont want one in the tank.

MMM33732
05/08/2008, 03:08 PM
Its not that I don't want a heater in the tank it's that I would rather not have to worry about a heater malfunction or it being set wrong since it will only have periodic use. Perhaps theres a thinner plastic I can use in there, or as you said a metal coil. Know where to get a titanium or stainless one? Or perhaps its just all in all not a very good idea and I should just stick with a regular old heater.

das75
05/08/2008, 03:52 PM
When I did an Interceptor treatment (x3) I need to pull out the shrimp and hermits from the display.

Got a small QT (~5g) and was worried about spiking the temp so just placed in my sump on some legs made with 4" PVC. Sump water level was up about 1/3 on the QT, good for temperature, then used a small HOB filter. Ran for about a month before I put critters back in the display.

Of course wouldn't work on my 33g QT.

MMM33732
05/08/2008, 08:02 PM
Although a good idea, not really to practical in my situation.

Radioheadx14
05/08/2008, 08:49 PM
most plastics wont transfer much heat. If your worried about malfunction you can get a more reliable brand like ebo jager (which i think is made by eheim) or if you had some extra cash, you could get a temperature controller. it shuts of the heater if the temp gets too hot. the only problem is they are like $80+ and thats a little pricey for a QT setup.

You initial Idea is good on paper but not very practical. I tried something similar with my RO to try to get the incoming water to 77* by putting 25 feet of tubing in a bucket with a heater.... well there wasnt much change.