PDA

View Full Version : Inherited some corals

WuHT
05/08/2008, 03:53 PM
While acquiring live rock to be used in a future 150 Gallon planned FOWLR, i recieved
1)Button polyps (brown-reddish)
2)Leather coral (greenish)
3)Mushroom coral (blue spots)
4)Tiny frag

I never intended to keep corals, but after a few days looking at the corals in my QT , they look pretty interesting.

So my question is :
1)Which of the following corals could i keep with butterflyfish (ie saddleback, golden etc etc,) and an angelfish (lets say asfur) without it being fish food after a few days.

2)I've read that toxic corals are generally less prone to being nipped at, so does anyone have recommendations for EASY to keep (ie fowlr lighting, water conditions) that also unpalatable to butterflyfish and angelfish ?

I hope this isn't wishful thinking, but keeping a few corals in a Fowlr tank seems pretty good.

Aerowen
05/08/2008, 04:52 PM
zoas are pretty easy to keep. also mushroom but i am not sure if those are poisonous.

WuHT
05/08/2008, 05:34 PM
What tends to be less prone to being nipped on by angels/butterflies ?

tankjunky
05/08/2008, 06:18 PM
Shrooms do have a venom in them, just dont know how strong. Also im not to sure about it but i think most soft corals have some kind of venom.

The0wn4g3
05/08/2008, 07:59 PM
As long as you don't eat the mushrooms don't worry about the venom...
I'm not exactly sure which of those will be safe with semi-aggressive fish that you listed, but seeing as you did receive them "free" I'd stick them in the tank and just keep and eye on them. If anything is nipping at them you will know quickly.

Aquarist007
05/08/2008, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12500597#post12500597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WuHT
What tends to be less prone to being nipped on by angels/butterflies ?

the species you listed are more apt to go after sensile invertebrates like fan worms and pec at mantles of clams
The angel is more likely to go after large polyps corals--not the ones you have mentioned

as with any butterflies and angels it is better to observe closely and keep them well fed with meaty foods

WuHT
05/09/2008, 12:41 AM
agreed. Thanks for the advice.

demonsp
05/09/2008, 12:56 AM
A reef tank means coral with 100% reef safe stock.Its all about water quality and just because a FO fish wont pic at coral doesnt mean it wont eat CUC or add much more watse to the tank and there messy eaters.

I sad to say that you dont want this answer as many others but Coral means reef type fish an non rish safe stock means no coral. Get another tank or decide on your tank setup for best experiance with less money wasted and a lot less time spent on water quality.

vr697getta
05/09/2008, 01:00 AM
i have an emperor angel the only coral soft, lps, and sps it ever touched were zoos in 30mins it ate 20+ polyps
its not a 100% they will all eat zoos
but thought i would let you know

demonsp
05/09/2008, 01:08 AM
This is a with caution fish.I decided i wanted a reef tank so any with caution critter is off limits period. You dont visit the responsible reef keeping forum i guess. Like many i guess its hard to decide whats more important , coral or cool fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12503565#post12503565 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vr697getta
i have an emperor angel the only coral soft, lps, and sps it ever touched were zoos in 30mins it ate 20+ polyps
its not a 100% they will all eat zoos
but thought i would let you know

vr697getta
05/09/2008, 02:05 AM
well i started off fish only
given a few free frags
fish never touched them kept adding corals
one day put in some zoos and it was like a whole other fish

demonsp
05/09/2008, 02:10 AM
This is the same with any stock,its best to give a good mix because if they dont like it then they wont eat it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12503709#post12503709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vr697getta
given a few free frags

Aquarist007
05/09/2008, 07:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12503709#post12503709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vr697getta
given a few free frags

I have done the opposite--I started with a mixed reef but like so many of the fish that can't go in a reef that I started a separate fowlr tank, now I am looking at a predator tank;)

re emperor angel---I love that fish---is there a minimum size tank recommended for it

vr697getta
05/09/2008, 04:23 PM
lfs told me around a 100 gallon but i think a 150 is a better minimum
also i plan on either a 180 or 220 fowlr that my angel will makes it way to and out of my reef
in under a year its color patterns are already changing
i am the only person that notices because i stare at my tank for to long

WuHT
05/09/2008, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12503590#post12503590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
This is a with caution fish.I decided i wanted a reef tank so any with caution critter is off limits period. You dont visit the responsible reef keeping forum i guess. Like many i guess its hard to decide whats more important , coral or cool fish.
No i don't..thats why i'm asking in the newbie section.

I just want to know what i have should get rid of before i introduce some butterflys and the inevitable angelfish, knowing that 100% the button polyps are going to be fish food.

Mushrooms and leathers so far i haven't really seen any opinions, wondering if i should just keep them.

demonsp
05/09/2008, 06:31 PM
Well adding a few softies really isnt to bad and cant ever tell which one they might pic at so dont spend alot of money.Get a few cheap frags and build from there, but if you get hooked on coral then you can fix the stock problem. Sorry if i sounded smug as i wasnt its only text and do want to help.But i tend not to beat around the bush and get strait to the facts.

Getting a few softies to get the feel actually sounds like a good idea but remember its like Lays (trademarked) potato chips,Nobody can have just 1. GL