PDA

View Full Version : Light cycle

rjsilvers
05/09/2008, 01:06 AM
This is probably a really easy question, but I don't know the answer to it...

The room my tank is in has no windows, so there is no external light. Would there be a problem putting the tank on a nighttime light cycle? Say... Starting at 5pm and ending at 1am?

Would the tank inhabitants be able to tell the difference? That it's not -really- daytime or nighttime and thus sleep during the wrong part of the cycle?

Does it matter?

Thanks.

jsolomito
05/09/2008, 01:23 AM
Everything I've read say it makes no difference at all as long as the light/dark periods are appropriate, but since I'm a newbie like you, I'll let some of the old timers give the final word.
Joe

kau_cinta_ku
05/09/2008, 02:02 AM
nope nothing wrong with running your lights at diff. times than the sun. just whenever suits you best.

demonsp
05/09/2008, 02:07 AM
All your tank critters will adjust to any lighting scedule you want. I wouldnt just stop one and switch to another though. If this is whats your wanting then i would make the transition easier by lowering your normal time and then adding your new .

rjsilvers
05/09/2008, 02:14 AM
Thanks for all the answers guys. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12503712#post12503712 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
If this is whats your wanting then i would make the transition easier by lowering your normal time and then adding your new .

Good idea. I was wondering this because we're usually home after 5pm and by that time my current light schedule is off so I barely get to view them... Making it stay on later into the evening would be a lot better for us.

demonsp
05/09/2008, 02:24 AM
Its a good idea to set the last feeding time a few hours before lights out and around the same time so stock can always figure on there last meal and after time feeding can take awile so this gives you more time.