PDA

View Full Version : Using Carbon

sage_commander
05/09/2008, 10:38 AM
I got some activated carbon yesterday. I plan to put it in a 4 x 6 media bag in my sump. My question is how much should I put in the bag and how often should I change it out?

And yes, I know a phosban reactor would be more efficient, etc., but I don't have one. I might make my own someday but for now I'd like to start trying my hand at chemical filtration. Thanks!

rbursek
05/09/2008, 10:42 AM
2 cups should be fine, and since it is going to be passive not being in a reactor 4 weeks.

sage_commander
05/09/2008, 10:43 AM
Two cups. Check. Thanks!

adam1980
05/09/2008, 02:48 PM
The more clear you want your tank to be the more carbon you should use. I have a 150 gall tank with a 90 sump. I actually put about 10 pounds of carbon in my sump about a year ago. My water is still crystall clear. And i have not changed my carbon since. I also have a canister filter that i just gutted and stuffed with carbon. Rule of thumb-The more carbon you put in the clearer your water will be.

rdefino
05/09/2008, 03:33 PM
Could someone use to much carbon?

ser_renely
05/09/2008, 03:53 PM
I think some say it also takes out good stuff in the water, so not sure?

918ReefCpl
05/09/2008, 09:22 PM
Carbon will absorb trace elements, but as long as your doing water changes and testing your water (like we all should regularly) - you should be fine...just dont buy the 'cheap' stuff - do a bit of research and feedback from fellow reefers... We use Marineland Black diamond and Kent Carbon...both are good...but I think the Kent product clears faster...also look at 2-part solutions and their Bulk carbon - costs more on the intial purchase but in the long run may be more cost effective...

frank2926
05/09/2008, 09:34 PM
Carbon left in the tank to long will leach things back to the water.

rdefino
05/10/2008, 08:56 AM
You say that carbon can removes trace ele3ments, but if i do water changes that would put them back in. What if I'm using RODI water? Does RODI system removes the needed trace elements? They does use carbon.

sage_commander
05/10/2008, 09:26 AM
The trace elements you need for your tank come from the salt mix. RO/DI water is water only, nothing else. You most likely don't want any elements in your water before you add your salt mix. I think it might be different for freshwater tanks, though.

Michael
05/10/2008, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12509964#post12509964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by frank2926
Carbon left in the tank to long will leach things back to the water.

aparently its usless after a week, i wash mine weekly and change it monthly, i see what frank is saying and hes probably right you know, as for amounts well a few table spoon fulls is probably enough, heres a couple of threads on carbon for you to look at

http://www.cee.vt.edu/ewr/environmental/teach/wtprimer/carbon/sketcarb.html

http://www.carbochem.com/activatedcarbon101.html

http://www.hallman.org/filter/gac.html:)