PDA

View Full Version : 125 FOWLR Hawaiin Reef

chrisdamage
05/09/2008, 11:38 AM
Hey everyone, I am in the planning stages of a 125 FOWLR. I have really been wanting to do a FOWLR since I got started in the hobby a couple years ago but never had the money to. I want some fish with personality and some flare.

Here is what I would like:
-Picasso Trigger
-Pair of Potter's Angels
-Red Coris Wrasse
-Yellow Tang
-Achilles Tang
-a small school of Green Chromis
-a few Yellow-tailed Blue Damsels

Lighting:
2 x 70W MH for aesthetics... probably 20,000K

Filtration:
Deltec AP600 Protein Skimmer

Flow:
3 or 4 Koralia 4's

I know that I should add the Chromis and the Damsels first, and that the Trigger should obviously be added last... but in what order should I add the other fish? Also, does the stocking list sound good for a 125 or am I a little overstocked? I can always ditch one of the tangs or something.

reeferaddiction
05/09/2008, 12:22 PM
sounds like a cool setup, i would make sure you have plenty of flow for the achilles, so go for the 4 koralias. what size sump are you running i didnt see it mentioned? as far as the fish go i would put the damsels in first, then the angels both at the same time, then the tangs also same time, then the trigger and the wrasse. with the trigger and wrasse i would start out on the small side as they can down right killers when mature. and the reason for the tangs before angels is that i made the mistake of adding a dwarf angel after a yellow tang and it only lasted about 10 minutes. good luck with it and post some pics when its up.

chrisdamage
05/09/2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks reeferaddiction... Do you think that having the wrasse and the trigger in there might be too much? I don't really want to watch all my fish constantly bickering and tearing each other apart.

I didn't really want to run it with a sump... skimmer and LR only. Do you think that I will need a bigger skimmer for this set-up?

Thanks.

AquaKnight
05/09/2008, 01:25 PM
I would drop the wrasse and go with a Hawaiian Blue Spotted puffer (personal bias:D ), the wrasse will eventually out grow a 125.

chrisdamage
05/09/2008, 01:29 PM
thanks... I was thinking that too. Instead of the larger wrasse, I might go with a six-line or 2 and maybe a couple of fairy wrasses

spamin76
05/09/2008, 01:45 PM
I would be wary of the picasso and the chromis...

my humu ate a few of the guys. They do not generally eat fish, but just a heads up.

chrisdamage
05/09/2008, 01:51 PM
I'm not too worried about the chromis... I just wanted them more as dither fish for some movement.

SaltyMember
05/09/2008, 02:21 PM
Your setup sounds like it will be nice. I am preparing to stock a 125g FOWLR right now. I am planning on a bluejaw trigger rather than the Picasso because I am afraid of aggression. I like the idea of the two angels and I am considering a flame with a coral beauty for my tank.

What kind of filtration are you planning on?

chrisdamage
05/09/2008, 02:27 PM
Just a skimmer and LR... thats why I don't want to skimp out on the skimmer. I'd rather spend a little extra and get the nicer skimmer that is going to get the job done right.

reeferaddiction
05/09/2008, 03:33 PM
i dont think the chromis will be in much danger as long as they are introduced first and when you buy a trigger later on he is small. i dont know if any of you saw my post about the new ausie tusk getting picked on, but i am having some aggression issues with my picaso. my triiger doesnt bother any other fish in the tank, but he has been giving the tusk a hard time. i am convinced that it is soley because the tusk has been introduced after the trigger. the blue jaw my be a good alternative. i have one in my reef tank but he has gone after everything i have tried to introduce after him.

chrisdamage
05/09/2008, 03:37 PM
hhhmmmmm... definitely something to think about I suppose. I really like the Picasso though.

SaltyMember
05/09/2008, 05:09 PM
Just a skimmer and LR... thats why I don't want to skimp out on the skimmer. I'd rather spend a little extra and get the nicer skimmer that is going to get the job done right.
Sorry I didn't notice you had a skimmer listed. That's a good one alright. :) I run my tank the same way, skimmer and LR with a fuge area in my sump. Works out well.
Good luck.

PiXieCath
05/09/2008, 05:41 PM
It's will be hard to install an external skimmer like the apf600 without a sump since they can't be install as an hang-on skimmer...the outpout of external skimmer have to be higher than your water level so you will have to install your it high, beside your tank... If you can, I definitly go with a sump, it give you a more efficient filtration and it will be easier to install your apf600...BTW, excellent skimmer choice, Deltec work amazing!;-)

LisaD
05/10/2008, 10:22 AM
another trigger to consider if you are concerned about aggression with the huma huma would be a pink tail. I think they stay a little smaller (10 inches) and mine is an ideal citizen. No flame angels in your tank?

chrisdamage
05/10/2008, 05:06 PM
Nah, i really like the Potter's Angel. I almost bought one not too long ago but decided against it because I only have a 34g tank. I figured it would just be better for the fish if I put it in the 125 when its set up.

LisaD
05/11/2008, 01:27 PM
They are beauties. Good luck with the tank, it'll be nice.

weluvfish54
05/11/2008, 01:37 PM
ive got a picasso with damsels...
i wouldnt suggest the damsels, they become territorial fast.
chromis are whatever if u like them but basically the same.
the trigger is a hit or miss..
ive had nice and mean.
just watch them.