PDA

View Full Version : to Python or NOT to Python

jdemarco
05/09/2008, 12:40 PM
I am still getting my 110 gal FOWLR set up but i am having thoughts about how I am going to keep it clean once up and running, should i be planning on purchasing something to clean the tank like one of those vacuum type devices or are they bad because they hook up to the tap and will introduce impurities into teh system? I have a few of teh mag floats but i am just trying to plan ahead, what can i expecta nd what will i need to clean algae? thanks

sage_commander
05/09/2008, 01:19 PM
I don't have one of the python devices so I don't know how they work. I like the mag float for getting the everday stuff that gathers on the glass. It's not real good for getting the top, bottom, or corners though. You should get a scraper for the stuff that the mag float misses. If you have an acrylic tank you will need to stay on top of keeping it clean becuase that stuff can be hard to remove once it becomes crusty. At least with glass you can add a little elbow grease without worrying as much that you will scratch it. HTH

JMCAquarium
05/09/2008, 01:25 PM
as long as you siphon out you'll be fine using it

Shaummy
05/09/2008, 01:26 PM
I have a Python that I bought back when I was into Freshwater for draining/filling for water changes.

That said, now that I'm into saltwater, I only use it to pull the water/gunk out of the tank now and use pre-made water to do the fill up.

I have marked the depth of the water on the tank where to stop siphoning the water to keep from taking out more than I have made.

rbursek
05/09/2008, 01:33 PM
A Python is for sucking water from your tank for water changes and cleand sucking stuff of the substrate, you hook it up to the sink faucet, there is a head on the python that goes to the sink to either suck water or send water, you want that set to suck water, by turing on the faucet it sets up a syphon so you can vaccuum your substrate and remove water from the tank for water changes.

jdemarco
05/09/2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks so it sounds like it is a necessary piece of eqiupment, so you guys use it for cleainig and also for taking water out during a change right?

rbursek
05/09/2008, 01:44 PM
Yes

Shaummy
05/09/2008, 01:51 PM
Hmmm..necessary?

I wouldn't call it a necessity, but definitely nice to have. The alternative way would be to start a siphon using a similar type tube and draining the water into 5 gallon buckets or something.

I've heard of people pumping out the old water, but that always seemed like I was asking for a water spill accident. But technically it would work.

If you can, I'd get a python (or similar) to make it easier and with less mess for your water changes. Probably one of the best things I ever bought.

rbursek
05/09/2008, 01:59 PM
Saltwater from an aquarium taste terrible, suck on a hose to get the syphon going? YUK

rjsilvers
05/09/2008, 02:24 PM
I have bought two of these along with a ridiculous number of adapters and haven't been able to attach them to any sink in my current house or my old house.

I supect many people don't have this problem (I never thought I would), but just something to keep in mind so you don't end up with 50' of worthless tubing laying around your house.

rbursek
05/09/2008, 02:32 PM
RJS,
do you have foriegn made faucets that may have meteric threads?

rjsilvers
05/09/2008, 02:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12507200#post12507200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbursek
RJS,
do you have foriegn made faucets that may have meteric threads?

I'm not entirely sure. Some of my faucets don't have threads at all, like the diffuser (I think that's what its called?) is built-in.

The ones that do have threads are either too small or too big for the adapters I've bought. They never fit right and if they do 'kind of' fit in there they always spray water out really bad.

rbursek
05/09/2008, 02:54 PM
Should be able to put it directly on your outside hose bib for sure and maybe laundry sink faucet.

rjsilvers
05/09/2008, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12507352#post12507352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbursek
Should be able to put it directly on your outside hose bib for sure and maybe laundry sink faucet.

.... Man....

Why didn't you tell me that 2 years ago? I NEVER thought of that.
:o

I have to go cry now.

rbursek
05/09/2008, 03:05 PM
Did not start reefing till 6-06 and did find RC till alittle later. Now the 2 you bought and gave away, you can go buy another oneLOL.

Bud Reeferman
05/09/2008, 06:54 PM
FOWLR suggests a saltwater setup and the Python refills freshwater from the tap. You'll kill everything quickly.

Lotus99
05/09/2008, 10:55 PM
I use the Python to remove water from the tank. It makes it fast and easy, no need for buckets. I use a pump attached to hoseline to fill back up from the bucket I make water in. It only takes about 10 minutes to do a water change on a 125g that way.

You should always make your saltwater up 24 hours in advance, and not add dry salt directly to a tank with anything alive in it.