PDA

View Full Version : easyest seahorse/ pipe fish to breed

yellowslayer13
05/09/2008, 03:37 PM
I have a thing about breeding my fish and reptiles for enjoyment i have given them to my sisters school. I was wondering what the easyest seahorse or pipe fish is to breed in my 40 that just finished cycling. thanks

amutti
05/09/2008, 09:15 PM
Most seahorses breed easily assuming basic requirements are met. Raising babies i a different question entirely. Southern Erectus are probably the easiest. The babies need baby brine shrimp for the first couple/few weeks and hitch at birth. Many other species require rotifers then bbs.

My $0.02

ReefNutPA
05/09/2008, 09:39 PM
Agreed. Breeding seahorses and them having fry is easy. Successfully raising the fry takes A LOT of time, money and patience. More and more hobbyists are having success, but it is still by no means an easy achievement.

I currently have quite a few young seahorses born on Christmas day. It's been 5 months of 3x a day feedings, 2x a day tank siphoning and cleaning, daily partial water changes, gazillions of baby brine shrimp the first month - then enriched adult brine - now frozen mysis. It's is very labor intensive. If you have lots of free time and not much of a social life, you have a good shot at success.

Best of luck!

Tom

The Crowing
05/14/2008, 12:07 PM
I have had the best success with breeding H. zostrae. They breed readily and reach sexual maturity within only a few months. Fry are so small that rotifers tend to be the best food at first, however they grow quickly and will be able to accept nauplii only a few weeks after birth. Nauplii can continue to be the staple diet for the adults. You may be able to encourage them to accept cyclops as well.

parkpark
06/19/2008, 03:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12509990#post12509990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefNutPA
If you have lots of free time and not much of a social life, you have a good shot at success.

Best of luck!

Tom

ha ha, im the perfect candidate!