PDA

View Full Version : Enough Light?

LostOmen
05/09/2008, 04:33 PM
I've been doing research into some SPS varieties for a week or so now, and it has been pretty counterproductive. I am running Hagen GLO 2x24 T5 HO lights; 1 18000k, 1 Actinic. Would this be sufficient to keep some of the hardier SPS coral high in the tank with the lights lowered all the way, or do I need more juice? I've read that SPS need MH lights, but I also read that 50W of HO light is roughly equal to 70W MH. I know there are other things to consider, but my question now is specifically lighting.

My tank is a 20L which obviously isn't very deep. If so, any recommendations to which type of SPS would be great. Thanks for your help!

demonsp
05/09/2008, 05:55 PM
I would say yes. But light alone isnt enough. Flow and good food mix and a mature tank and consistant water readings. In a 20 gallon this means extra work keeping everyhting up to par.

Fish_wiz2
05/09/2008, 05:57 PM
No not enough do 4 x 24watt bulbs with individual reflectors (or else it would be useless) but yes SPS need metal halides and it doesn't matter how many watts compared to HO because halides are more intense (SPS need the intensity of MH).

jthao
05/09/2008, 06:06 PM
agreed!!! but I have seen people grow sps with t-5s, but very mature tank though.

LostOmen
05/09/2008, 06:39 PM
Excellent, thanks for the replies! demonsp, I realize there is a lot more to consider for SPS coral. Thanks for the heads up!

Fish_wiz, I never thought about the fact that my lights don't have individual reflectors. What do you mean by it would be useless? If that is inhibiting my lights right now, I will look into individual reflectors. I appreciate the info!

jthau, thanks. I try to be as patient as possible, but after seeing the tank of the month, I got the itch to start studying up on them!

Fish_wiz2
05/09/2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry that word was kind of harsh but without individual reflectors the intensity is lost with all the other bulbs but individual reflectors reflect what the bulb gives out so less to no intensity lost :D Also let your tank mature i had to wait 6-8 months to start LPS :p not to mention SPS (actually just started SPS and clams and so far so good)

demonsp
05/09/2008, 08:01 PM
Flow is more imprtant then lights and SPS will do fine under T-5 lighting. Individuel reflector only help dirrect more of the light down toward the tank where you want it. They do sell DIY mods you can do yourself and get better results.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature/view

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12508505#post12508505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish_wiz2
No not enough do 4 x 24watt bulbs with individual reflectors (or else it would be useless) but yes SPS need metal halides and it doesn't matter how many watts compared to HO because halides are more intense (SPS need the intensity of MH).

Fish_wiz2
05/09/2008, 08:14 PM
^that gives me a lot to think about thanks demonsp

Mariner
05/09/2008, 08:29 PM
The reflectors are a good idea. A couple more bulbs would probably be needed if you are going to get some of the more light-demanding SPS.
But the designation SPS covers a lot of different coral species. Some do not require a ton of light. I've grown Montipora capricornus, digitata, Pocillipora and even one species of Acropora successfully under normal output flourescent lights (just 240 watts of NO lighting over a 75g tank)
FWIW,
Mariner

LostOmen
05/10/2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks FishWiz, wasn't really planning on doing any SPS for quite a while. I'm going to wait a few months and see where the frags currently in my tank end up growing.

demonsp, thanks for the link! I will see if I can find anything to retrofit to my current setup. It looks like I would have to find a good balance flow-wise for some of the stuff in my tank right now that doesn't need as much flow.

Mariner, I've considered getting another 2 bulb T5 set. I will make sure I get a setup that can include individual reflectors.

Thanks everyone for your input! It is much appreciated.

Mariner,