PDA

View Full Version : vodka dosing

lilchris
05/10/2008, 06:29 AM
I was wondering, when you are dosing vodka, what should I be looking for when the big bacteria bloom occurs? Right now I have some snotty looking slimy stuff in my refugium. Is this the algae bloom? I am dosing 4ml a day on a 125 gallon sys (including sump).
Should I increase the dosage?

coralfarm123
05/10/2008, 07:56 AM
There is a good chance the slimy stuff is a bacteria. Sometimes the water will get a cloudy white haze as well.

sprite
05/10/2008, 08:08 AM
IMO you shouldnt keep raising your dosage till you get a bloom. you should start slow and you should monitor your po4 and nitrates to see when they start falling and hold on that dosage. some ppl cut that dosage in half and use that as a maintence dosage. a bacteria bloom could be dangerous. the bacteria will suck the oxygen right out of the water

lilchris
05/10/2008, 08:53 AM
If you are not dosing enough to get a bloom then wouldn't you want to up the dosage? I test my NO3, PO4 every week. My kits are telling me that the NO3 is undectable, been that way for a year or so. PO4 is undectable according to my ELOS and Salifert kits. I am taking it slow cause I don't want to wake up and have a dead tank.
One other question, should I start adding AA due to the pastel look to my corals.

glassbox-design
05/10/2008, 09:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12511767#post12511767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
If you are not dosing enough to get a bloom then wouldn't you want to up the dosage?
No, a bloom is not desired and risky. I am not sure why many believe this.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12511767#post12511767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
I test my NO3, PO4 every week. My kits are telling me that the NO3 is undectable, been that way for a year or so. PO4 is undectable according to my ELOS and Salifert kits.
Those kit's do not have the resolution needed. Try getting your water tested by a D-D kit or Hanna.

I am taking it slow cause I don't want to wake up and have a dead tank.
I would reduce your dosing. 4mL is quite a strong dose as indicated by the bacterial "snot" growth. I'd also suggest using a mixed carbon source and introducing bacterial strains to skew the competitive and environmental factors.

One other question, should I start adding AA due to the pastel look to my corals.
Yes and No. If you have algae you will fuel that algae. Increase feedings first and see the effects. If you feel you are truly ULN and would benefit from AA's start at half the suggested dose. If you experience any algae growth further reduce that amount to find your balance.

HTH :thumbsup:

sprite
05/10/2008, 11:11 AM
as usual glassbox-design has excellent advice

OnlyCrimson
05/10/2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah totally agree about AA"s at half dose first. I'm carbon dosing and adding AA's as well. The full dose of AA's fed diatoms. Though now the nutrients are so low I'm adding more without issues.

lilchris
05/11/2008, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12511819#post12511819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glassbox-design
No, a bloom is not desired and risky. I am not sure why many believe this.
I have heard this many times that you want to see a bloom and then you are good. I guess I totally read into this. Could you explain more. How would you know (besides testing params) that you are dosing the right amount?

Those kit's do not have the resolution needed. Try getting your water tested by a D-D kit or Hanna.

I would like to get a hanna meter but it is a little costly

I'd also suggest using a mixed carbon source and introducing bacterial strains to skew the competitive and environmental factors.

Could you elaborate on this more, this is getting interesting. I think when you say a carbon source you mean sugar, right. You need something for the bacteria to feed on.

glassbox-design
05/11/2008, 08:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12516005#post12516005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
I have heard this many times that you want to see a bloom and then you are good. I guess I totally read into this. Could you explain more. How would you know (besides testing params) that you are dosing the right amount?

Observe the coloration of corals, die off of algae, and reduction in po4 and no3. Blooms are risky and not needed, all it tells you is that you overdosed on carbon. More carbon is not always better here. As long as nutrients are continually reduced there is no reason to increase doses.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12516005#post12516005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris I would like to get a hanna meter but it is a little costly

See if there is a local club you can join, it's likely someone in your area has one... that's what reefer friends are for ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12516005#post12516005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris Could you elaborate on this more, this is getting interesting. I think when you say a carbon source you mean sugar, right. You need something for the bacteria to feed on.

Yes, sugar falls in this category as does vodka and others. They fuel the bacteria. I'd highly suggest a mixed C source over vodka alone.

I believe the simplest mixed C would be our VSV method. Here's our write up on it. (http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-through-observation-and-experimentation/)

Other commercially available C sources include, Start2 by KZ , Prodibio's Optim (at which point you might as well go full prodibio) and Polyp Lab's C-source.

stony_corals
05/11/2008, 01:07 PM
I originally dosing instructions for vodka dosing in Germany was to increase dosing until you get a bloom, and then cut your dosing in half the next day....

This can be risky for the reasons already outlined, however, many of these German reefers were also using ozone, and good protein skimmers. The use of ozone would help greatly to reduce the potential for damage to livestock stemming from low dissolved O2 levels.

You should get some good test kits though, I would recommend that to anyone using Zeo, Prodibio, vodka etc.... it helps to know with more certainty where you're at so you don't harm your corals, fish, etc.

glassbox-design
05/11/2008, 05:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12518153#post12518153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stony_corals
I originally dosing instructions for vodka dosing in Germany was to increase dosing until you get a bloom, and then cut your dosing in half the next day....

They also believe in increments of .1ml a day... which is too much IMO. Matt what's your stance on the bloom?

lilchris
05/13/2008, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12516886#post12516886 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glassbox-design
Observe the coloration of corals, die off of algae, and reduction in po4 and no3. Blooms are risky and not needed, all it tells you is that you overdosed on carbon. More carbon is not always better here. As long as nutrients are continually reduced there is no reason to increase doses.

See if there is a local club you can join, it's likely someone in your area has one... that's what reefer friends are for ;)

Yes, sugar falls in this category as does vodka and others. They fuel the bacteria. I'd highly suggest a mixed C source over vodka alone.

I believe the simplest mixed C would be our VSV method. Here's our write up on it. (http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-through-observation-and-experimentation/)

Other commercially available C sources include, Start2 by KZ , Prodibio's Optim (at which point you might as well go full prodibio) and Polyp Lab's C-source.

Are you using the methosd that is illistrated in the article?

glassbox-design
05/13/2008, 09:17 AM
Yes ;)

lilchris
05/13/2008, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12529934#post12529934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glassbox-design
Yes ;)

I'm sorry. I don;t know why I asked that question when you where the one who arote the article. What I meant to ask was do you use AA?
The reason I am asking this is that I am experiening some pastel colors in all my corals.
Will the AA help bring the colors back?

glassbox-design
05/13/2008, 02:06 PM
We have used AA's in the past, but currently we're using Aqua Vitro fuel...a chlorella based amino acid/vitamin supplement.

They should help, as will extra feeding. How often are you cleaning your glass panes?

lilchris
05/14/2008, 08:38 AM
Well that question is a pretty good one. I started dosing vodka back in March. After about 2 weeks I noticed I was cleaning every 4 to 5 days. Then I switched to the Bioclean and I noticed that 4 to 5 days went down to every 2 days. Now that I have stopped the BioClean I am back to every 4 to 5 days, I think maybe 6 days I lost count. That's why I stopped adding the Bioclean.

lilchris
05/14/2008, 03:17 PM
I made up a batch of the C concoction. I will strat dosing tomorrow.

I would like to know, have anyone ever used a Milwaukee Phospate low range photo meter? I am looking into buying one and want to know if its any good.
http://phishybusiness.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=747

abereefur
05/14/2008, 03:39 PM
whoa, yo dose 4ml/day? i am only dosing 5ml/ week on a 405 gal system (with sump)

tonyscoots84
05/14/2008, 04:21 PM
where can i find the carbon recipe that everyone is using?

lilchris
05/14/2008, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12539617#post12539617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyscoots84
where can i find the carbon recipe that everyone is using?

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-through-observation-and-experimentation/

lilchris
05/14/2008, 08:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12539385#post12539385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abereefur
whoa, yo dose 4ml/day? i am only dosing 5ml/ week on a 405 gal system (with sump)

Yeah, but it is only the vodka. I have a little snotty looking stuff on the surface in my refugium. Nothing seems affected by that dosage. I am guessing that is too much. I have read where people are dosing that on 29 gallon systems.