PDA

View Full Version : problem w/ some form of algae

nemoray
05/10/2008, 07:05 AM
Hi everyone,

My tank has been up and running for 9 months. I have been algae free, hair algae that is, for about 5 months. Up till now I have had no problems, and I am sure this new issue isn't super major. I just want to eliminate it before it is a big problem.

For about three weeks now I have been finding a black "Film", for lack of a better term, beginning to cover my rock. I've been blowing it off with a turkey baster and siphoning out as much of the stuff as possible. I've also done several extra water changes, and replaced my phosban in my reactor. I'm still seeing the stuff.

My tank is a 90 w/ 120lbs live rock. Inhabitants include:
purple tang, 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, Diamond goby, 2 frogspawns, a large cenerina, a foxcoral, various button polyps, pulsing zenia, a trumpet coral, a candycane coral, and a hammer coral.

What do any of you suspect as the culprit? I've increased my flow with coralias, but the film-like algae still appears, though it does seem to have been reduced a bit.

thanks,

Ray

rbursek
05/10/2008, 07:39 AM
What is your phospates at and water source, also maybe direct more flow to that areas.

bernacchi
05/10/2008, 07:42 AM
That's what I had to do, redirect my water flow to a certain area, stuff kind of looks like tar. Don't it?

nemoray
05/10/2008, 07:47 AM
I run water through an RO/DI unit...comes out 0. Is this an algae or a bacteria I'm dealing with. Excuse my ignorance. I see the term cyanobacteria used alot, but am not sure I 100% know what it is.

rbursek
05/10/2008, 08:04 AM
Cyano looks rusty red and is a think slime coat with bubbles comeing from it.

nemoray
05/10/2008, 08:55 AM
thanks..this black film must be algae then...this too shall pass!