PDA

View Full Version : CaribSea Live Sand

storm4kay
05/10/2008, 07:47 AM
I made the stupid mistake of adding CaribSea LS (Dry 40lbs) to my tank after I have started to cycle it. My tank is now cloudy...it's been that way for 2 days now. In addition, we bought a few cleaner snails & crabs a few days ago.:o

1. Will our little friends make it through this?

2. My LR had a few hitchers on it (feather dusters) will they be alright?

3. How long do you think the cloudyness will last? (Skimmer & PH are running)

4. Does this mean my tank will go restart the cycling process again?

Thanx.
:fish1:

rydr119
05/10/2008, 08:12 AM
Its no big deal, It shouldn't start your cycling process all over, I added some sand to a running tank of mine with out any problems. Your creatures should be ok. The cloudyness in the tank should subside with a matter of a few days, just keep the skimmer and any other filters running.

rbursek
05/10/2008, 08:38 AM
Could be just sand dust.

storm4kay
05/10/2008, 02:23 PM
Thanx for the reply. My tank is starting to clear I can see at least 6 in. in the tank.

jtma508
05/10/2008, 02:30 PM
Assuming your LR was uncured when you put it in and you're curing it in the tank, most of your hitchhikers are probably not going to make it. I started out with alot of HH's (a few crabs, tube worms, sponges, etc.). As the cycle peaked they all pretty much disappeared. However, even before testing confirmed that the nitrates were dropping I noticed tube worms (feather dusters) starting to pop-up. And sure enough, within a day or so the nitrite test confirmed that they were dropping. Since then they've been showing up at the rate of a few a day. I agree, the cloudiness is sand 'fines'. It will settle eventually.

storm4kay
05/11/2008, 07:03 AM
My tank is finally clear but not crisp. One last question, how do you clean the sand dust off the LR without killing the Feather Dusters?

FBNitro
05/11/2008, 09:20 AM
Turkey Baster, just blow the sand off...

storm4kay
05/11/2008, 07:36 PM
OK...thanks. I'll have to run to the store tomorrow and get one.

JPF13
05/11/2008, 07:57 PM
I did that too and after about a week or so your tank will be very clear but not crisp.