PDA

View Full Version : Msx 160

Al Bendiksen
05/10/2008, 05:09 PM
Ok well this is the first skimmer i've ever had. It is a MSX 160 and runs under a 120g DT and a 35g sump.

After hours of plumbing i finally got the whole drain/return working. I plugged in the skimmer and it is just a weird sound, as if the pump was running with water only half way. (it is fully submerged)

The white plastic tubbing (air tube?) is hooked up to the silencer and down to the pump which has a little tube sticking out.

Question: Can any one please tell me how to assemble a MSX 160 and get that silencer working. There are no bubbles inside the chamber at all.

Al

johnnyblaze313
05/10/2008, 05:35 PM
you do have it running in saltwater right?

Al Bendiksen
05/10/2008, 05:50 PM
Hahahahahaha how embarrassing for me :)

That just skipped my mind.

Sorry about that lol

johnnyblaze313
05/10/2008, 05:57 PM
u aint the first i seen a handful of people do the same thing thats why i asked. you should read through the msx thread if you havent already though and also replace that stock airline in tends to kink real easy

Al Bendiksen
05/10/2008, 06:14 PM
yeah i was just doing a test run with tap water to see my limit in the sump. u wouldnt happen to have that link would you?

Peter Eichler
05/10/2008, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12514300#post12514300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
yeah i was just doing a test run with tap water to see my limit in the sump. u wouldnt happen to have that link would you?

You should still be getting at least large bubbles and the pump shouldn't be making noise. I just set mine up today and replaced the tubing that comes with it because it looks very easy to crimp so check that, also make sure that you don't have the ait intake for the venturi pushed all the way in. Lastly, add some vinegar to the freshwater you're running it in and you should get microbubbles and it'll break the skimmer in much faster.

johnnyblaze313
05/10/2008, 06:21 PM
here u go might wanna put your reading gasses on its a biggin http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1379328

Al Bendiksen
05/10/2008, 06:33 PM
awesome thxs for the link. ill make sure i have 6hrs free before reading it :)

and i will add the vinegar when i get home. what did u mean about the tubing peter? i did not understand it. the tubing does go from the silencer down to that angled cut tube in the pump right?

Peter Eichler
05/11/2008, 03:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12514389#post12514389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al Bendiksen
awesome thxs for the link. ill make sure i have 6hrs free before reading it :)

and i will add the vinegar when i get home. what did u mean about the tubing peter? i did not understand it. the tubing does go from the silencer down to that angled cut tube in the pump right?

Yep, that tubing. Also, make sure that angled cut tubing isn't pushin in all the way. Lastly, I bet if you just blow in the silencer it'll start right up :)

jgillard
05/11/2008, 07:35 AM
You should not have to blow into the silencer to get the pump started. If you do you would wreck the pump if you had a power outage while you were away. Just read the MSX thread as it answers pretty much anything you can think of with regards to these skimmers.

Al Bendiksen
05/11/2008, 10:39 AM
Well it seems that the tubbing is being bent and therefor it stops the air. I got it started by turning it on above water and then putting it back in.

The skimmer has the water right where the collection cup is inserted.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/DSCN0916.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/DSCN0915.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/ilmagnificant/DSCN0914.jpg

Should the water not be all the way up? It is 9 1/2'' to 10'' in water.

Please tell me how it is suppose to get water up there. Or it only works fully with saltwater? Its is in freshwater with a little vinegar

reefergeorge
05/11/2008, 11:19 AM
Skimmers don't do much in fresh water. So don't be shocked. Mine also made a funny noise when in the fw.
IMO changing the tubing to some thicker 1/4" tubing is a needed upgrade. That stuff just kinks way to easy.

Al Bendiksen
05/11/2008, 12:48 PM
I guess i will be changing the tubing. What about this whole wet/dry skimmate? How do i tweak it to give more or less bubbles / wetter or drier skimmate?