PDA

View Full Version : sump size

gguertin
05/10/2008, 09:50 PM
I am wondering what the best sump setup will be for my new tank..

I am building a 125g setup and am not sure how large of a sump is going to be needed? Is it possible for some people to post what they use or would recommend?

I just measured and easily have 15.5 inches of width.. and plenty of length and height. I have been entertaining building my own acrylic sump or purchasing a 55g or rubermaid... One rubermaid that looked ideal as a sump was really only 22g which is not much more then I was using on my 75g...

Please post any ideas...

Thanks!

Bud Reeferman
05/10/2008, 10:05 PM
My main tank is 175g and I go with a 54g sump. You can find stock glass and acrylic aquariums 40" long x 13" wide x 20" tall. I divide the sump with plexi walls into 1/2 refigium, 4-5 inches of bioballs and the rest sump containing the skimmer, RO/DI water top-off hardware and return pumps.

gguertin
05/11/2008, 01:01 PM
so I am thinking a 55 or some 40 size sump would work...

Is there a way to calculate the required size so that I dont have to worry about overflowing when the power goes out?

tpenn187
05/11/2008, 01:19 PM
my best recomendation is something shallow and wide. so i would not do a 55 a 40 would be better but you dont have the width. do a custom made sump, or a 30 gal tank should do the trick. i use a 30 under my current 90 gal tank. or even better yet if you can find any older 40 gal long tanks that would be ideal.

tpenn187
05/11/2008, 01:20 PM
also what type of skimmer and other stuff do you plan on doing? and dont do bio balls.

gguertin
05/11/2008, 03:31 PM
i wont be doing bio balls...

I have a msx160 I figure I will need 8 in of water depth in the sump or atleast in a chamber for the skimmer. I would also like to do a fuge for the cheato...

J.russell
05/11/2008, 04:08 PM
Look into a 40 breeder. They are nice and wide :D

Im using a 40 breeder for my sump. Started building it today. Im doing the same thing you are thinking.

Skimmer///return section// fuge

gguertin
05/11/2008, 07:23 PM
ok I got a 55, and some plexi glass... I have been looking at a few different sump ideas but am not sure what is the best?

Anyone know of a 55 configuration they would recommend?

mfinn
05/11/2008, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12518114#post12518114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gguertin
so I am thinking a 55 or some 40 size sump would work...

Is there a way to calculate the required size so that I dont have to worry about overflowing when the power goes out?

The easiest way to do this is to drill a hole in your return line just under the surface of the water in the main tank. When the power goes out the syphon breaks with only a few gallons of water going back to the sump.

On all the sumps I've made, I divided the sump into 3 portions. The first area is where I like to place the skimmer and use for incoming water. The size of this are should be determined by the footprint of the skimmer you plan on using.
The second area I like to make into a refugium, so this is the biggest area in my sumps.
The third I use for any other equipment, heaters, sensors, and return pumps (if you use a submersable pump).
Between each of the areas I use a 2 panel bubble trap, although many people recommend a 3 panel.

mfinn
05/11/2008, 07:37 PM
Here is a link to some good information.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

gguertin
05/11/2008, 09:46 PM
I like this one?
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/j/sump_model_j.html

because this 55g is fairly tall in comparison with what I am used to I am curious how tall I should make the fuge?

recomendations?