PDA

View Full Version : Would this Stock be ok? 55G Tank

NyteReefer
05/11/2008, 12:54 PM
Hi, my friend, has a 55gal tank, that has a 10gal Refugium (Growing as much pods as he can) attached to it. It will be a reef tank eventually, and he"d like to know if this stock of fish would be ok.

1=Leopard Wrasse
2=Ocellaris Clownfish w/ RBTA (Already in tank)
1=Orange Stripe Prawn Goby w/Shrimp
3-4=Ventralis or Resplendent Anthias

Would this be ok in a 55gal reef tank, housing soft corals.

(Note this is for my friend's tank)

He is using a Fluval 305 Canister Filter, and has a Koralia 2 Powerhead.

T-5 Lighting

AquaReeferMan
05/11/2008, 04:28 PM
List looks good minus the Anthias. They need a larger system to handle their energetic needs. They also need to be fed a lot so this might cause havoc on your bio-load. I would skip the anthias and look into a nice dwarf angel.

black_majik
05/11/2008, 07:35 PM
^^^ yeah avoid the anthias. aquareeferman hit it on the head with them. Has your friend thought about hawkfish? I just got one ( Red Spotted) and he is a character.

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 05:47 AM
1=Leopard Wrasse
3=Banggai Cardinal Fish
or
3=Spotted Cardinal Fish

Which Cardinals do you think would be better?

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 08:46 AM
Bump

Chibils
05/12/2008, 09:23 AM
They'd both do fine. All cardinals (afaik) shoal loosely in the water column and adjust relatively well to captive life.

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 09:36 AM
1=Leopard Wrasse
3=Banggai Cardinal Fish

Any problems here? This is pretty much the desired stock. Would the Leopard Wrasse harass the Pistol Shrimp?

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 11:16 AM
Bump

Could I add another fish? What type would you recommend? I'm happy with it the way it is, and I do water changes every two weeks.(If that makes a difference.)

nismo_32
05/12/2008, 12:26 PM
i agree. minus the anthias...oh i think you already took it off. mever mind..looks good..

tcmfish
05/12/2008, 01:25 PM
Ventralis anthias are not very energetic, they are a small anthias and very hard to take care of. That said still no anthias, but for other reasons. Why not an orchid dottyback, flame hawk (hawks were mentioned above), lawnmower blenny, maybe some fang blennies, jawfish, and lastly wanted to touch on the cardinals. The bangaii's will probably kill each other. You will most likely end up with one and if your lucky a pair, but still a very nice fish. If your talking about pajama cardinals then those would be better but I would still only get two.

I wasn't suggesting all those fish but those are some ideas you can pick and choose from. Good Luck.

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 01:41 PM
1=Leopard Wrasse
1=Dwarf Falco Hawkfish
1=Orchid Dottyback (Fridmani Pseduochromis)

This good?

I have read that hawkfish terrorize inverts, so would a cleanup crew of hermits, snails be ok? What about the Shrimp paired with the goby.

black_majik
05/12/2008, 02:46 PM
My hawk is in a 12g currently with 4 other hermits no issues at all. I guess you took the cardinal idea away I was going to mention that the Banghai is red-listed. What about blue/green chromis they get fairly large in a school.

black_majik
05/12/2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry that list looks good. Hawkfish will terrorize ornamental shrimp and the paired shrimp might get harassed due to the fact it doesn't have a shell and can be vulnrable. Again that is one of those sometimes they do, sometimes they don't situation.

SDguy
05/12/2008, 03:58 PM
A pair of fathead anthias would be an excellent choice to fill your anthias slot. Not terribly energetic, don't get massive, and not aggressive.

I also like the fang or midas blenny suggestions.

matt11390
05/12/2008, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12524954#post12524954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by black_majik
My hawk is in a 12g currently with 4 other hermits no issues at all. I guess you took the cardinal idea away I was going to mention that the Banghai is red-listed. What about blue/green chromis they get fairly large in a school.

Banghai cardinals are also raised in captivity (aqua cultured). So you can get them without taking them from the ocean.

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 06:45 PM
matt, your comment doesn't make sense.

tcmfish
05/12/2008, 07:08 PM
He is saying you can buy captive bred bangaii's which means someone raised them in a tank and they weren't collected from the ocean. Due to their small geographical range their population is not very big. That is why they are redlisted. If it were my tank I wouldn't work about the hawkfish attacking your pistol shrimp with the goby, the key there is it is with a goby, but I wouldn't add any other shrimp after a hawkfish is added if you add one.

As SD guy said fatheads would be a great choice too. Lots of color. And I think fang blennies are definately underrated. They are also easy to breed and raise as far as saltwater is concerned.

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 07:14 PM
1=Leopard Wrasse
1=Dwarf Falco Hawkfish
1=Orchid Dottyback (Fridmani Pseduochromis)
2=Fathead Anthias

? Would that be ok?

black_majik
05/12/2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah matt11390 had a good point ( I don't believe aqua cultured is the right term. You can't culture fish..), the only issue is the tank bred cardinals haven't caught on yet in LFS's you need to know where to find them. Same as clownfish if it doesn't say tank bred chances are they aren't. Probably 3 times out of 5 the clowns are wild caught.

NyteReefer--That is fine I wouldn't go further

NyteReefer
05/12/2008, 07:29 PM
So, what do you think would be an all around good food that I could buy from my LFS. Is Mysis more expensive than brine? What's the difference.

black_majik
05/12/2008, 08:08 PM
Brine is small and salt water native.

Mysis is larger and freshwater native.

I use Prime Reef, but I don't like how the food stays in a thick bunch... I used the San Franisco Bay Saltwater Multi-Pack and that was good.

NyteReefer
05/13/2008, 05:58 PM
bump

tcmfish
05/13/2008, 10:19 PM
Fresh seafood.... buy it then freeze it

I would shred up table shrimp (frozen) or blend it and freeze and then break off chunks to defrost either way is good and it is great for the fish.

Or PE Mysis.