PDA

View Full Version : LPS or Manjo?

Bree42
05/11/2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.drekster.com/myrescues/whatamI.htm
I went ahead and put this in the tank, where I can watch it closely, flushed the aptasia. AS I was studying this stuff it is different, both mouth and base are different than the aptasia. I seriously hesitate to flush it without knowing what exactly it is. Kinda looks like some type of LPS to me??

Ian
05/11/2008, 01:54 PM
I vote aptasia... Toss it just in case...

JOSE CASAS
05/11/2008, 02:18 PM
bleached aptasia dif toss it lol.

Justin74
05/11/2008, 02:39 PM
Whoa hoo hooo Nellie!! What's up with the orange in the center? Is that from a recent feeding? Try to see if that's part of a skeleton first!! Ive seen bleached, colored aiptasia and manjano, and Im sorry, but that's not crying out aiptasia to me. That orange in the center is defintately not typical of aiptasia. All the other ones are pretty typical looking aiptasia and the one in the lower pic off to the left without a doubt is. But than one of to the right is definately an oddball. Toss the others but hold onto that orange centered one till you can unquestionably rule it out.

-Justin

PS. If you just fed the tank with some orange or red colored food before the picture nix what I said above and toss em all! ;)

Bree42
05/11/2008, 02:54 PM
I feed the corals in the tank on Mondays, so nothing in the refugium that would be food. Plus it's carnation pink, not orange. Fed it some brine this morning (after pictures) and I have it in the sand in one corner where I can watch it closely. Base is maybe a quarter inch.

DML08
05/11/2008, 08:07 PM
have the same thing in my tank.... only one.. I was going to KILL it but after I researched aptasia online and seen what they look like I decided to leave it alone.. mine is way to small to take a pic(crappy camera) so I could never get ID.... it about .25'' round and about .5'' tall.... I'm keeping a close eye on this one!!!

JOSE CASAS
05/11/2008, 08:46 PM
Trust me you dont want those in your sys.Hope this helps you http://wetwebmedia.com/aiptasiaidfaq3.htm

DML08
05/11/2008, 09:32 PM
thanx.... look like I'll be injecting this guy with kalk... never see it again..

seapug
05/11/2008, 09:51 PM
the mystery thing definitely looks strange. The orange center is odd. Could be food but it's hard to say. I'd hold off on flushing it and keep an eye on it for a while.

Justin74
05/11/2008, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12521083#post12521083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
the mystery thing definitely looks strange. The orange center is odd. Could be food but it's hard to say. I'd hold off on flushing it and keep an eye on it for a while.

Ya, not only the color is odd, but just happens to coincidentally have the same diameter as the two coralites it's sitting between..

Id get a kalk slurry and juice that dark aiptasia on the zoa rock Bree42.

-Justin

Bree42
05/12/2008, 09:17 AM
Zoa rock was flushed, that'[s just a small section out of the middle of a really big patch.
I( contacted a friend out of Florida that is a marine biologist and this is his email on it. This guy is breeding corals and putting them back in the ocean.

It actually does look like a local Florida LPS. I guess watch it closely and see if it reproduces or not and when it sucks in if it has a hard shell or not. It would be a shame to flush it if it wasn't destructive like an aptasia. If it is an LPS then it is sought after by many hobbyists. So let me know how it turns out. Thanks.

abereefur
05/12/2008, 09:42 AM
looks like a strawberry to me. :) umm, red base, white tentacles? i have one, doesnt reproduce, and its really nice to look at. from what i heard, its strawberry anemone. hope that helps

abe

MinibowMatt
05/12/2008, 01:56 PM
bleached out curly-que... or whatever..... their nasty anyway... toss the rock, and be safe...

Bree42
05/12/2008, 02:45 PM
It moved, which rules out LPS. Still on watch at this point, that short fat base has me stuck. Aptasia is tall and thin.

Myrddraal
05/14/2008, 12:35 PM
Did it move, or did the rock shift? Does it react when you poke it? It (and especially the dead skeletons it's between) look like FL cup corals to me.

abereefur
05/14/2008, 12:37 PM
did you read my post for strawberry nem?

Justin74
05/14/2008, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12538268#post12538268 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abereefur
did you read my post for strawberry nem?

I did, but dont think it's one. The tenticles are long like a curly or aiptasia, while strawberry anemone's are fairly short and have bulbous tips at the end of there tenticles.

-Justin

Justin74
05/14/2008, 02:01 PM
Here's a strawberry for everyone's reference that havent seen one, color is pretty close, just the tenticles are different though:

http://www.biology4kids.com/extras/dtop_animals/anemone2_580.jpg

-Justin

Bree42
05/14/2008, 05:17 PM
I have strawberrys in the tank, this guy is much bigger and not the same, base is about 1/4", if you go the the website and hit refresh you'll see a new picture. This guy moved to the underside of the rock, so definitly rules out LPS. Mushroom, huuuuge maybe, probably an anenome

Bree42
05/15/2008, 01:53 PM
I will be adding new pictures every few days if you want to keep on eye on things, monday will probably be my next batch after todays. I have seriously busy weekends
Bridget

MCsaxmaster
05/16/2008, 12:47 AM
It looks to be a coral polyp. You can see corallites next to to it, and I can see what looks like the corallite wall and some septa within the tissue. There are many, many species of little cup corals like this from a few families. It's one of them.

MinibowMatt
05/16/2008, 06:33 AM
**Ahem** Curly Cue anemone**Ahem**

Bree42
05/16/2008, 09:49 AM
**Ahem** Curly Cue anemone**Ahem**
Do you think?
I'll have to research that.
I went out and got a mini hex for it and pulled some sand, live rock and water out of the tank for him. He seems to be doing ok with the move. I figure he can have the tank to himself. Agressive or not, repopulate or not. This morning under flouresant lighting he is showing color, it's slight. He's looking like he might turn dark with green rings around the base of the tenacles.

It looks to be a coral polyp. You can see corallites next to to it, and I can see what looks like the corallite wall and some septa within the tissue. There are many, many species of little cup corals like this from a few families. It's one of them.

That was my very first thought as well, but since this guy moves 'alot' that kinda rules out corals.

Bree42
05/16/2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1897&articleid=3125
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81781&pid=751876&st=0&#entry751876
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=320&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

These are different than my guy, close and possibly related. My guys have yet to show any base under them. They are flat on the rock just like my flowers or LTA. Iwas reading in one of my book's "the reef aquarium by J Charles Delbeek and Juliun Sprung". They say that LTA's will reproduce 2 ways depencing on location gathered. Both spawning and division. Kinda wonder if maybe these are the result of a spawn?
I have the common purple tip LTA and it does not exhibit curly tenacles and it has alot more tenacles. However this guy is growing more tenacles on the outer ring. Not real sure what an immature version would look like. I suspect it would resemble the parent more?

Bree42
05/16/2008, 11:43 AM
These are different than my guy, close and possibly related. My guys have yet to show any base under them. They are flat on the rock just like my flowers or LTA.

Of course as soon as I say that he decides to change rocks and is showing a base.
I'm going to go with Curly Cue. For now, until he matures more. Hopefully your right and he can be identified. It would just make life much simpler.. BG
Thank you Matt