PDA

View Full Version : Bottled ozone?

MHannon
05/11/2008, 10:53 PM
I have been wanting to run ozone on my tank, but the cost of a decent ozone generator and reactor are putting it on hold. I was thinking, can you pressurize and bottle O3 like you can with CO2 and He? Then you would just need a reactor. I tried searching google for someone who sells bottled O3, but no such luck. I would assume it is possible, but not sure. Nobody seems to sell it, so I don't know.

McCrary
05/11/2008, 10:56 PM
Ozone is pretty unstable, so it can't really be bottled, thats why generators are used rather than bottles being filled. Why were you wanting to run ozone?

Fishbulb2
05/11/2008, 11:04 PM
I agree with McCrary. I think bottled O3 would just quickly become bottled O2. You can check in the chem forum though. Also a nice O3 generator wont cost you anymore than a gas cylinder and regulator anyways right?

FB

MHannon
05/11/2008, 11:04 PM
Crystal clear water, kills parasites, oxidizes organics and makes them easier to skim out, less algae, increased O2..... Lotsa reasons. I realize it is very unstable, but I would assume if you just have pure O3 in a canister, there inst anything to really break it down. No different than piping it from a generator through tubing. Im no expert though, so I could be completely wrong.

Fishbulb2
05/11/2008, 11:22 PM
I think it will break down by itself and you get 3 O2 molecules for each pair of O3 molecules. You could post in the chem forum and see what they say.

Also, randy claims that O3 is very ineffective as a sterilizer. So it's most likely it won't have the effect you are looking for in terms reducing parasites. I also have never been able to get a very clear answer from people whether starting ozone actually decreased the amount of algae growing on their front glass panel. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

FB

McCrary
05/12/2008, 12:54 AM
There are some good articles on ozone in the archives, you can access them from the chemistry forum page. Most people seem to use it to increase the clarity of the water, which is why I am using it.