PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter instead of sump?

YankyTexan
05/12/2008, 08:23 AM
QUESTION: Would a large canister filter (ie. Eheim 2260) work in place of a sump?

BACKGROUND: I have a 150g FOWLR in-wall setup which has been running for approximately 6 months. For various reasons adding a sump is NOT practical. The tanks 3 main in-habitants are still in their juvenile stages. Water readings/filtration is not an issue at the present. I am concerned about the load the inhabitants will place on the system when they mature.

So, if you could NOT have a sump would a large canister filter filled with LR rubble be better than nothing? I'm assuming the 2260 would be better than the 2262 since the flow rate is about one half.

Thoughts, comments and/or observations are welcomed. Thank you in advance for your input.

Pandafish
05/12/2008, 11:21 AM
It will work and it's better than nothing... what are you using for filtration now?

I run a 305 on my 20L nano and my brother in law runs 2 canister filters on his 55.

If it were me I would run two 2250's, one for redundancy and two flexibility.

I would run more than just live rock in at least one, you need at least some carbon. You'll also need a really good HOB skimmer.

The thing about canister filters is you need to clean them like religion, no exceptions, or your going to have chemistry problems.

HarleyDude
05/12/2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, alot more work than they are worth, IMO. A sump, or HOB type of an operation would be the two alternatives.