PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Ozone?

MHannon
05/12/2008, 12:00 PM
I originally posted this in the Lighting and Filtration forum and nobody was really sure, so they told me to post it here.
I have been wanting to run ozone on my tank, but the cost of a decent ozone generator and reactor are putting it on hold. I was thinking, can you pressurize and bottle O3 like you can with CO2 and He? Then you would just need a reactor. I tried searching google for someone who sells bottled O3, but no such luck. I would assume it is possible, but not sure. Nobody seems to sell it, so I don't know.

billsreef
05/12/2008, 12:20 PM
It's not stable enough. You could bottle O3, but by the time you used it you would only have O2 ;)

MHannon
05/12/2008, 12:52 PM
Ok then, thats what they thought. I guess thats why nobody sells it.

AZDesertRat
05/12/2008, 01:55 PM
Ozone is only useful for a matter of seconds. It has to be generated and used in an extremely short period of time

jpa0741
05/12/2008, 02:26 PM
You can find ozone generators really cheap. Check the bay. They have ones also used for hot tubs that work great. I bought a cheap china model for less then $30. It has worked good for about a month now. I don't know how well it will last. The ORP controller is the most expensive part at around $110. If you run it through your skimmer, you could do it for less then $150.

reef_doug
05/12/2008, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12524814#post12524814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpa0741
You can find ozone generators really cheap. Check the bay. They have ones also used for hot tubs that work great. I bought a cheap china model for less then $30. It has worked good for about a month now. I don't know how well it will last. The ORP controller is the most expensive part at around $110. If you run it through your skimmer, you could do it for less then $150.

Agree.... Enaly units are good and cheap. It's the controller & ORP probe that's costly. You might as well look into an ACIII considering all the additional functionalites.

MHannon
05/12/2008, 09:42 PM
I know ozone can have side effects on your health if it is not all absorbed into the water and it escapes into the air. This is not normally a problem if your house is well vented and not a sealed bunker, but my sump is in the basement which is unfinished therefore no vents and not much air circulation. Injecting it right into the skimmer is pretty inefficient so I would rather spend the money on a good reactor. An AC III without probes is $500, Plus an ozone generator, I'm looking at a pretty big chunk of money. So I guess Ill keep saving and do it right.

Billybeau1
05/13/2008, 06:23 AM
Running the generator in the basement should not be a problem as long as you protect the output water and the top of the collection cup with carbon. This will absorb any stray ozone.

jimwat
05/13/2008, 02:28 PM
Bottled Ozone => Peroxide??

MHannon
05/14/2008, 12:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12529117#post12529117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Running the generator in the basement should not be a problem as long as you protect the output water and the top of the collection cup with carbon. This will absorb any stray ozone.

Thats my fear, I would rather have most of it break down in a proper reaction chamber than have to constantly worry about trying to catch the escaped ozone. I would still run carbon on the outputs, but I would feel a lot better knowing it was done right.

KB3MMX
05/14/2008, 08:21 AM
Not saying that it can't/won't be dangerous or potentially harmfull, but in small quantities, it won't hurt you one bit.
There is a differnce in the Ozone that is used to describe smog and the o3 used for water and air purification. Bad thing about ozone/smog is there is all kinds of nasty stuff in there that is bad for your health.
You can actually buy ozone generators for home air purification useage, look at a brand called "Alpine" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
http://www.alpineairproducts.com

Like most other things, overuse, can quickly become a bad thing though...