PDA

View Full Version : Emergency?

satjosh
05/12/2008, 05:57 PM
OK i'm new in coral reefing and i am taking my time in doing it
tests are all good waited for 6 weeks all tests are fine (ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate,calcium,magnesium,Ph,temperture,specific,Phosphate, and copper
did not test for iodine or alkalinity

but recently my mushroom when the light is off shrinks as small as a closed polyp and i'm worried it might be from a colony of polyp that i have that is i think some pieces were dieing, is there a test for that other then that nothing only fish is lawnmower blenny and a bunch of snails and crabs???? please help very worried something wrong with the water? or if it's normal

from a 2 inch span mushroom to about the same size as a closed polyp i know the mushroom shrinks, but first time saw it like that please help

Darth Wader
05/12/2008, 06:06 PM
Thats probably normal. Did it return to regular size when the lights came back on. I have some softy's that shrink to like a quarter of their size when the lights go out, and then when the light come back on they go right back to their normal size. This happens with photosynthetic corals as they use light to grow. It could also be getting ready to multiply as they tend to shrink when this happens.

satjosh
05/12/2008, 06:14 PM
really?

well yes it shrinks but never this small? if coral is dieing and IF they realease toxins is there a test for that or is like basic toxins as in too much iodine, copper and what nots?

thank you

demonsp
05/12/2008, 06:16 PM
After lights most coral will shrink and some will open then all fish will find there spot and call it a night.

Darth Wader
05/12/2008, 06:18 PM
Yea if its returning to its normal size during the day I wouldnt be worried about it.