PDA

View Full Version : how do i get rid of that rotten egg smell

customcolor
05/12/2008, 07:18 PM
i started doing come cleaning in a tank that im cycling with a canester filter that i use to suck up hair algie and i didnt clean it befor i used it. it had 4 day old salt water in it and boy did it stink up the 46 im cycling. will it go away over night or do i need to do something with the water? big water change? or carbon? or leave it?

Bruno3047
05/12/2008, 07:30 PM
Sounds like you pumped some hydrogen sulfide into your tank.

Do a google search on what to do.

Bruno3047
05/12/2008, 07:36 PM
Here's some more help:

"I have also seen hydrogen sulfide cause sudden fish mortality. This compound, which is a byproduct of anaerobic metabolism, is extremely deadly. It can be liberated into the water when anoxic (low oxygen) areas of the gravel bed are disturbed or when a canister filter is turned off for a long period of time and then is turned back on. If the bottom materials, like crushed coral or live sand, are provided with a constant flow of oxygenated water or disturbed frequently enough, by the aquarist or by fish, then hydrogen sulfide should not be a problem. If you turn off a canister filter for a long period of time (four hours or more) it is important to take it apart and clean it before turning it back on. Airborne contaminants, such as tobacco smoke, insecticides, paint fumes, glass cleaner, furniture polish and so on, can kill fish as well."

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=49&cid=3799&search=

customcolor
05/12/2008, 08:43 PM
i think i will be putting new water in it tommarrow if it still stinks. its a new set up os no harm done to any thing:) no live rock in it yet.