PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator overflowing my tank

kane720
05/12/2008, 10:10 PM
i just purchased a Osmolator and it's not shutting after a while. when i first hook it up it's ok it fills to the level of the sensor and cuts off. a hour or more later the alarm is going off and the tank is overflowing. i thought it automatically shut off once the too high sensor is triggered? i cleaned off everything and reinstalled it and the same thing. am i doing something wrong? btw i have a dispenser hooked to it also could it be a problem with the connection with that?

rvitko
05/13/2008, 08:54 AM
First, make sure that the reservoir is below the tank and that you are pumping to the tank and not a sump to avoid a siphon. Second, the optic sensor cannot differentiate between microbubbles clinging to it and being out of the water so it is critical it is not exposed to microbubbles. New sensors are particularly prone to microbubble problems, a rinse in hot soapy water helps. Third, the controller has a relay and the float switch which are magnetic components that are prone to interference due to magnetic fields from ballasts, magnet holders or cleaner and large pumps.

kane720
05/13/2008, 09:44 AM
the reserviour is a 5 gal bucket on the floor pumping the water at least 3 ft up and the return isn't in the water so that can't be it. i have this on my 24 gal auapod so no sump. it must be micro bubbles but then thing is i got the osomulator to keep my 9002 from creating micro bubbles. lol isn't the float switch suppose to keep the tank from overflowing? and like i said it works at first then an hour later its overflowing?

rvitko
05/13/2008, 11:37 AM
Yes, the float switch is designed to prevent an overflow, when it is raised it should sound an alarm and shut the unit off. It could be that a magnetic field is preventing this, the float is a magnetic switch. I would try manually raising it and I would also check if it works when the lights are off since ballasts are a common source of a electromagnetic field.