PDA

View Full Version : Fish Recommendation for 30g

FishAreFriends2
05/13/2008, 10:00 AM
My friend has had his 30g halfmoon tank up for about 3 months or more. And he currently has a pair of clowns. So I'd like to know what other fishes he should add. So does anyone have any suggestions? And I hope its not something thats impossible to get or too expensive. Looking for common and easy to care for. :D

Ruskin
05/13/2008, 10:14 AM
When I had my 24g I had two clowns and a 6 Line wrasse. Loved that little guy. Very cool to watch and was a model citizen with my clowns. Others might say he can be aggressive but mine never showed a sign of it. Especially since he was added last.

FishAreFriends2
05/13/2008, 10:16 AM
Alright thats on the list
My friend says he wants a cow fish, which I don't think thats a good idea. These guys can nuke tanks right and eat corals? But for the mean time keep the recommendations coming. I will give him a list later to help him stock his tank.

Ruskin
05/13/2008, 11:09 AM
No, that's definently not a good idea. They can get large, and are not an easy fish to care for. You, or your friend should check out http://www.liveaquaria.com/ and have a look through the marine section. Pay special attention to the beginer's, and nano fish section and he should find something he likes. Just remember to keep an eye on minimum tank size, and that it is MIN, not max!

skeletor121
05/13/2008, 12:32 PM
I am going to keep my eye on this thread. I have a 24 gallon right now with a pair of black clowns. I have been kicking around the idea of getting 1 other small fish for the tank, but am holding off for more info.

Mariner
05/13/2008, 12:52 PM
If you like color, I Royal gramma would go nicely.
Other possibilities would be a Firefish (goby) or a Pygmy/Cherub Angel
HTH,
Mariner

Chibils
05/13/2008, 02:55 PM
Dottybacks go well with clowns - both are aggressive enough to hold their own and will fit in a 30G tank. Plus dottybacks (pseudochromis) are colorful and are often available tank-bred.

jimwat
05/13/2008, 03:18 PM
Easy fish for a 30 -

Royal Grammas - very pretty, but are sometimes a little shy.

Lawnmower Blennies - a face only a mother could love :D, tons of personality, and can be a good worker (picks algae off glass and rock)

Flame Hawk - I love these fish. Pretty and fun to watch. Sometimes a little aggressive to bottom feeders (like gobies), but will not bother the clownfish.

FishAreFriends2
05/13/2008, 06:24 PM
Royal gramma sounds cool, so I'll pick this over the 6line due to aggressiveness. And a flame hawk I might have to think about that.
but keep the list coming :D

Arati
05/13/2008, 08:10 PM
Bicolor Blenny

Eklikewhoa
05/13/2008, 11:03 PM
McCosker's wrasse!

snorvich
05/14/2008, 04:27 AM
+1 on a flasher wrasse of any kind

Lockhartia
05/14/2008, 11:04 AM
Clown gobies are a ton of fun IMO. They're not the flashiest, but my trio of green clowns in my 55ga are a hoot to watch. Just this morning I put my had in the tank to right a tipped coral and one just swam over to me, kind of head-butted my arm, then tore off across the tank and into a hole. A moment later his little head appeared.

Perhaps a goby/pistol shrimp pair could be fun too, but I'd hold off if your friend decides on a dottyback, he could cause some angst.

And I agree, a cowfish would be a VERY bad idea. They're adorable, but not suitable for a 30ga tank.

JoeMomma
05/15/2008, 07:37 AM
Dottybacks and hawks will eat shrimp so make sure you are not planning any of those if you want to add them.

I'd agree that a royal gramma and goby/pistol shrimp pair is great.

jimwat
05/15/2008, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12543602#post12543602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JoeMomma
Dottybacks and hawks will eat shrimp so make sure you are not planning any of those if you want to add them. Royal Grammas too. I've gotten peppermints a couple of times, and if the Gramma could get his mouth around them they were goners. :(

FishAreFriends2
05/15/2008, 09:51 AM
My friend has 2 coral banded, 1 skunk and a perpement shrimp. But he suspects one of them to be eating his yellow polyps. Which one do you think it is? He only has a pair of clowns. some snails and some purple nudi's.

Fish I'd like to suggest to a friend
Royal Gramma
Flasher wrasse
Bicolor blenny

dottybacks are nice but I read they are pretty mean.