PDA

View Full Version : Dow FilmTec rejection %'s?

speakerguy
05/13/2008, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if Dow publishes rejection % for individual species, like Na+,Cl-, HCO3-, etc? I know they spec >98% for NaCl but I was wondering if Randy or anyone had data for the more common species in tap water. My tap is liquid salt and liquid baking soda, more than 500TDS from just Na, Cl, and HCO3 combined. Very little else. I may try getting away without a DI, especially if I do a planted tank and not a reef.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

My town's "Drinking Water Report Card":

http://www.bryantx.gov/fetch.html?name=07Report.pdf

GSMguy
05/13/2008, 12:07 PM
what is the question? Im pretty sure "species" is not the word you were looking for...

what does it mean when you say "My tap is liquid salt and liquid baking soda" ???

speakerguy
05/13/2008, 12:31 PM
'Species' is the correct term. It refers to a particular dissolved substance/ion. I am looking for data on Dow FilmTec reverse osmosis membranes that gives a % rejection for individual species, instead of just an overall ">98%" rejection rate.

My tap water has extremely high levels of Na+ (244ppm max measured), Cl- (59ppm max measured), and HCO3- (>500 max measured). So table salt and baking soda are essentially what's in my tap water, chemically speaking.

I meant to post this to the reef chemistry forum. Could a mod move it there for me?

GSMguy
05/13/2008, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12531102#post12531102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speakerguy
'Species' is the correct term. It refers to a particular dissolved substance/ion.

ah, i did not know that, thanks.

speakerguy
05/13/2008, 12:37 PM
No prob. I took a lot of chem in college and I forget sometimes the jargon isn't widespread.