PDA

View Full Version : hyposalinity

cyclops23
05/13/2008, 01:29 PM
would i be dumb if i put my 125g display into hypo? my powder brown tang has ich, apparently i did something wrong when he was in QT. i don't have much for corals, and i could move them over to my QT tank for the duration of the hypo treatment.
my stocklist(i know it's a little much):
1 powder brown tang
2 clowns
1 chalk bass
1 purple firefish
1 paupan toby
1 potters angel
1 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp
various snails and hermit crabs
and the kicker:
1 2' zebra eel

i have 200 lbs. LR, 100 lbs LS, and a good skimmer.

cyclops23
05/13/2008, 03:32 PM
anyone? i've been feeding with Kent garlic Xtreme, and the ick seems to be getting better on the fish, but should i put it into hypo anyway?

Jerry W
05/14/2008, 12:28 AM
Any live rock or inverts need to be removed. Subject that much rock to hyposaline conditions and there will be substantial die off which will send your parameters quickly out of whack, further compromising your fish.
I did hypo in my 120 fowlr, leaving all the fish in place and removing the rock/crabs/shrimp/snails to rubbermaid trash cans equipped with heaters and powerheads. It worked very well.

abulgin
05/14/2008, 06:55 AM
Do some google searching, searching on wetwebmedia.com, to determine which of your fish can handle hypo treatment before you go the hypo route. Your best bet would be to remove the fish to a hospital tank and treat there, while at the same time letting your main tank go fallow for 6+ weeks.

Hal
05/14/2008, 08:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12536414#post12536414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
Your best bet would be to remove the fish to a hospital tank and treat there, while at the same time letting your main tank go fallow for 6+ weeks.

Ditto. Why wouldn't you do this? Then you don't have to worry about die off of anything in your display tank.

Jerry W
05/14/2008, 09:01 AM
The main reason it would be an option for him to treat the display is simply the number and type of fish he has. You'd need quite a large QT to properly house those fish for the duration of any treatment. Unless the QT is at least 55 gallons, I think treating the display is appropriate.