PDA

View Full Version : how to zoa pox

aquatics369
05/13/2008, 02:05 PM
I got a frag from the LFS late yesterday and let it drip aclimate over night. This morning upon closer inspection i believe the frag has zoa pox. Two or three polyps have small white dots attached to the side. The white dots look alot like what I have seen in pictures. One polyp seems to be melt/rotting away and had a tan growth that I easily flicked off. Does this sound like zoa pox? What is the best treatment?

Does light matter for a QT tank because I have a 5 gallon tank that i could do QT in but the tank has a 13w screw in compact flourecent light.

Thanks Jason

Lotus99
05/13/2008, 08:53 PM
As far as I know, the white spots from zoapox are actually in the polyps, and can't be removed/scraped off.

The usual treatment is a series of dips in Furan-2. There is an article/description of the treatment on zoaid.com under the articles section.

flyyyguy
05/13/2008, 09:05 PM
they are sometimes superficial and can be scraped off. as you treat you will notice the deeper ones rise to the surface and reach a point in which they can be scraped off as well, although in my limited experience with it I see no value to scraping them off as soemtimes it tears the flesh and if you ride it out they will just go away on their own.

any chance of getting us a pic??

aquatics369
05/14/2008, 08:33 AM
No pictures. I have a digital camera but I havent been able to get it to focus any where close to even making out the polyps.

They are currently still in the bag from the LFS floating, so what should I do with them? Put them in the poorly lit QT or go ahead and put them in my tank? I dont have Furan-2 and wont be anywhere to get it for then next few days.