PDA

View Full Version : My DIY return pump safety shut off

sabbath
05/14/2008, 03:40 PM
I added a float to the display and to the sump to turn off the return pump. It is set up to shut down if the display is going to over flow or if the sump pump is going to run dry.

I found I had to add a bottle to the float in the sump. To stop the start up chatter when it got to the float.

I figured as long as I was doing it. I would have it turn off the Skimmer, ATO, Return pump & Start my back up battery air stone in the display. All of which, where run out of the DJ switch box anyway.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb11/ptlguertin/sumpfloatbottle.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb11/ptlguertin/returnsafety.jpg

crumbletop
05/14/2008, 04:52 PM
If your sump runs low and then you stop the pump, wouldn't you get backflow through the return lines that will raise the water level back up, which would turn the pump back on, which would start the cycle over again? Maybe when you cut the pump, you are going to simply cut it off, and not allow for an increased level to turn it back on?

sabbath
05/14/2008, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12539813#post12539813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
If your sump runs low and then you stop the pump, wouldn't you get backflow through the return lines that will raise the water level back up, which would turn the pump back on, which would start the cycle over again? Maybe when you cut the pump, you are going to simply cut it off, and not allow for an increased level to turn it back on?

That is a great point. It wound start back up as you said. Humm?

crumbletop
05/14/2008, 05:23 PM
Seems like you need to find a switch that will stay off and has to be manually reset. That would keep the cycle from repeating.

BTW, I used to live in MPLS near lake harriet. I miss that place.

geo
05/14/2008, 05:28 PM
[moved]

sabbath
05/14/2008, 06:40 PM
Looks like I will have to get another relay in there. To latch it off if it trips. Then have a momentary switch to reset it manually.

Trying to think of any other senareos...

H20ENG
05/14/2008, 09:08 PM
You can use a DPDT relay to latch itself. Then, run the latch through a momentary switch to reset.

I use timer relays set to 15-30 minutes. This way if you dont catch it the pump is at least aerating the tank a little evry so often. It wont restart the pump if the float is still low.

I also wire both the HIGH Tank float and the LOW Sump in the same circuit, since I want it to do the same thing- stop the pump.

I like how you wired it right into the DJ. I'm working on a topoff and trying to stuff the components into the existing timer case myself:)

driftin
05/14/2008, 10:30 PM
I have been meaning to do this very thing, with some type of latching relay that would need to be manually reset. I checked grainger and either overlooked it or they don't carry one, could somebody post a link for a product that would work?

H20ENG I'd really like to see a wiring diagram of that, if you wouldn't mind. Sounds like a great solution.

kcress
05/15/2008, 01:41 AM
I have a switch that is for overflow prevention. It does not latch. So my pump goes on, and off, with about a 2 second cycle. It has done this for hours before we notice. But it is rather noticeable if we come in the room. Erp erp erp erp. I would expect the pump to be annoyed by this but it doesn't seem to be. It's a little giant, the one specifically for aquariums.

sabbath
05/15/2008, 04:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12542305#post12542305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by driftin
I have been meaning to do this very thing, with some type of latching relay that would need to be manually reset. I checked grainger and either overlooked it or they don't carry one, could somebody post a link for a product that would work?

H20ENG I'd really like to see a wiring diagram of that, if you wouldn't mind. Sounds like a great solution.

Any relay will latch really. like H20ENG stated, Just use a double poll relay and use the second set for latching it.

If some one has means to make a drawing go ahead. Or I will hand make one tonight, and take a pic and post it.

-You wire the floats, Normally open to the coil
-Wire the latching with extra contact on relays N/O, in parallel with floats.
-Wire pump to N/C contact on relay.
-Wire a N/C momentary switch in series with coil power. to brake all power to coil. For a reset.

sabbath
05/15/2008, 04:46 AM
Oh and Radio shack has relays and switches.

I used up four contacts already on this so, off the the store.

I picked up a 5 amp for the latching relay. It is nice and small for the remaining space.

sabbath
05/15/2008, 06:23 PM
I added the extra relay to have it stay off. If the water is too low in sump. Or display is over flowing. I tested it, and it works good. New latching relay wires are yellow.

Here is a couple pics of it.

It is a real basic wiring layout with one float.

Note; I have two floats. & three relays to turn off.
-return pump
-skimmer
-ATO
- turn on power out only, battery back up air stone in display.

More floats can be just wired in parallel with the other float. And more relays by paralleling the coil wires to next relay.

This way if I'm away for a while it should make it a couple days. The in tank power heads will stay on...

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb11/ptlguertin/returnsafetyLatchingwiring.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb11/ptlguertin/returnsafetylatching.jpg

crumbletop
05/16/2008, 04:58 AM
Nice!

sabbath
05/16/2008, 05:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12550405#post12550405 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
Nice!

Thanks &,

Thank you for the, Pump would have pulsed on and off if the sump ran dry, Heads up. I had totally over looked that one! :)