PDA

View Full Version : What is it? How do I get rid of it?

pmw0813
05/14/2008, 11:47 PM
I have a 150g tank about 6 month old. There is a dark brown/pink growth on the glass and other hard surfaces that is very hard to remove. What is it? Is there a natural way to remove it? If not, is there any easy and effective way to remove it mechanically?

Thanks

ludnix
05/14/2008, 11:58 PM
It sounds like Coraline algae. If it's growing on the glass the easiest way to remove it is with a razor blade. Most people encourage it's growth on rocks though as it can make everything look more natural and blend together.

pmw0813
05/15/2008, 12:01 AM
I am curious to hear other peoples answers, particulary if there is a natural way to limit its growth. I should have been clear that I have a plexi tank, so a razor blade is probably not a realistic option.

cazzy
05/15/2008, 12:07 AM
It's a good thing and the sign of a healthy tank... Use some sort of scraper to get it off your glass... Definitely leave it on your rocks and such

xJake
05/15/2008, 12:12 AM
A good choice for cleaning acrylic is using a credit card (or similar plastic card) as a scraper. Just make sure it doesn't have any defects that could scratch the acrylic.

kau_cinta_ku
05/15/2008, 12:18 AM
urchins will eat it, but they can also scratch your acrylic tank.

coraline algae is actually a good algae to get, it is a sign that the tank is doing well. however with the good comes the bad. the bad being it is a pain to get off the tank.

Playa-1
05/15/2008, 06:41 AM
Use a credit card or buy a specialty scraper for Acrylic Tanks. It does sound like Corraline Algae. It comes in all different colors. Many people just leave it on the back glass and rocks. Then you can scrape it off the front and sides of the tanks. I don't know of an ez quick fix to prevent or get rid of it.

DLANDINO
05/15/2008, 07:02 AM
PMW 0813, sounds like coraline to me too. Is it round growth?

fyrefysh
05/15/2008, 11:54 AM
If you want to inhibit the growth of coralline algae, I would say that you need to lower your magnesium and calcium levels in the tank which would be detrimental to most corals and invertebrates and may let nuisance algae to grow. I say let it grow, it looks beautiful, I even like it on the back glass. ;)

Aquarist007
05/15/2008, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12542682#post12542682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmw0813
I am curious to hear other peoples answers, particulary if there is a natural way to limit its growth. I should have been clear that I have a plexi tank, so a razor blade is probably not a realistic option.

can you post a picture so we can make sure we are dealing with corraline?