PDA

View Full Version : could use some tips

emm0909
05/15/2008, 06:40 AM
I fragged a cabbage coral the other day. I used a razor blade and couldn't believe how tough cabbage corals are. I want to use scissors but have read that you shouldn't use scissors. I think that may be bogus.

I attached it to a plug with thread. I pierced it three times and just kept wrapping the thread around the base of that plug to hold it there. I'm guessing the thread will just rot away and if it doesn't I'll go in and pluk it out.

I'm going to frag my nepthia as well and sew it right to the plug sideways.

Any ideas on tying frags down? Should I always cut them underwater?

jansenwrasse
05/15/2008, 06:45 AM
Stitching softies works well. The reason scissors are not recommended is that the multiple chomping at the coral can open up for infection. If you can cut them in one clean cut you should be fine! There are a ton of farmers local to us!

I see you are local to me! Check out the Upstate reef society on R.C.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=117

fatrip
05/15/2008, 06:57 AM
im not sure of why you would think it would open more flesh up for infection if you are useing Tissue scissors. you are exposing the same amount of "open" cut flesh as with a razor. they are very sharp and will cut threw more than chomp. for tuffer corals tissue scissors are the easyest way depending on the thickness of the coral you are cutting. scaples or exacto knifes work well for thicker soft corals. but deff check our URS if you havnt before...it is a great reasource...:) as well as us a little further south in NY...Southern Tier Reef Society...lol...

oceanparadise1
05/17/2008, 11:04 AM
i bought scissors from petstore.com for like 10 bugs and they are awsome

only_mnh
05/24/2008, 08:22 AM
you can use any scissors, as long as they are stainless steel

Salamander
05/25/2008, 11:11 PM
I haven't tried it but I hear sharp poultry shears will work.