PDA

View Full Version : another digital SLR on a budget

Skeptic_07
05/15/2008, 09:38 AM
I like canon, i'm going to try to get a macro setup for as cheap as possible. One thing i have on my side is i work at a place that wholsales and retails digital cameras. I'm looking at getting a used digital rebel body off ebay. I think i can close the auction at under $250, we'll call it $200 for that. My real question pertains to lenses. I can get a brand new Canon 100mm macro USM for $460 from my job w/ no taxes. I can get the same lens used for about $400. Also, i can get the Sigma 105mm macro for about $360 off ebay. I havent even lookd into getting these wholesale. My question is should i bother? are these good? Can i get some examples of shots where a sigma lens was used? Thanks.

RevHtree
05/15/2008, 09:41 AM
I would just get the brand new Canon hands down.

BlueCorn
05/15/2008, 09:42 AM
Both the Canon and Sigma have excellent image quality. What sets the Canon apart is that it's an internal focusing lens. The Sigma changes length as you focus, which is a hassle when doing macro work; especially with glass in the way. Minimum price to have a lens calibrated or serviced with Canon is ~$160. I'd buy the new lens so that you have a warranty.

TitusvileSurfer
05/15/2008, 09:45 AM
Gosh, I wish I could get a 100 macro for $460. I suggest you jump on that deal. Since you get such great deals, why not look into an Xsi or older but brand new Xti? I'm sure your store has an extra Xti or two laying around that they just want out. This would be a huge improvement over the original rebel.

Skeptic_07
05/15/2008, 09:46 AM
yeah but what if i can get a sigma for like half the price of the canon? still not worth it?

the problem is that lens takes up like my whole budget ! I'm trying to do it for $500 or less.

TitusvileSurfer
05/15/2008, 09:50 AM
If your concerned with budget budget then get the sigma, but I wouldn't.

BlueCorn
05/15/2008, 09:52 AM
If you buy the Sigma, end up hating it, and still have to buy the Canon you won't have saved much money. ;)

Skeptic_07
05/15/2008, 09:56 AM
why would i hate it? i will have never used anything different. have you ever used one?

TitusvileSurfer
05/15/2008, 10:13 AM
This is not a poor man's sport. The general rule is you get what you pay for. If you want good equipment that will truly be a pleasure to use and will get you the shot every time, your going to have to pay for it. If you would rather take the cheap way out, in the end you'll just sell yourself short. Everyone I know who went cheap hate their equipment. One of my friends has a Xti with the 75-300 for example. After we went shooting together twice hes ready to sell it and by a 70-200 f/2.8 even though he can't really afford it. The 70-200 IS that much better. This happens over and over and over.

The thing to understand, is once you get sucked in, your camera will likely rival or surpass your tank in expense. You have been warned.

JeffReef
05/15/2008, 11:09 AM
It's always our budget that messes all things up. If money was not an issue then we could just get whatever we want. :)

I'd say stick with your budget and go from there. I don't see any problem with a used camera body and a Sigma lens if this is all you could afford at the moment. There is always room for growth/upgrade when the time is right.

The Sigma 105mm can be tack sharp IME. Know your lens' limitations and with proper technique, you should be able to produce great pictures.

Skeptic_07
05/15/2008, 01:14 PM
Well titus and beerguy are probably right in the fact that if i go ahead with this now, i will want something better in the future so i will be wasting my money in a sense. However, this setup must be better than my S2 IS on some level and i cant really see myself spending as much as i'd like to on an SLR camera anytime in the foreseeable future. As it is, I'm upgradeing from an S2IS so, whatever camera i decide on, i wouldnt say i wasted my money when i purchased that a few years ago just because i'm trying to upgrade to something better now. or would i? i guess if i never spent the $350 or so when i bought that camera, i'd have more loot now for what i want. Maybe i should sell that camera to put it towards the new one. Anywas, this decision is like a war in my brain, i need to take some time with it. Thanks for all your help guys! :)

TitusvileSurfer
05/15/2008, 08:06 PM
Just don't get a macro lens that moves when you zoom. You'll be adding (and paying another ~200 dollars for) attachments to the lens called extension tubes.

Steeltowndubber
05/18/2008, 10:30 AM
It is all about the glass. Good quality glass will last a long time if cared for properly. Bodies come and go...

maroun.c
05/19/2008, 01:23 AM
I also suggest buying the brand new Canon. you never know what a used lense has suffered. Slight front/back focus on a zoom could be tolerated (for some maybe) but that's not tolerated on a macro lense. Sending it for calibration will cost you more then the price difference. The warranty alone is worth more than the 100 usd difference. If it makes you feel better think of it as a 100 dollars expense and not 460 as your paying the 360 for the other lense. I would sacrifice that amount for peace of mind.

BeanAnimal
05/22/2008, 07:33 AM
I would also agree with maroun, beeryguy, etc.

Bodies come and go, but lenses should last a lifetime. Buy good glass and call it a day. If you can't afford the good glass, then wait until you can...

That is buy the body, and skip a few trips to the tavern or LFS. It will be well worth the trouble.