PDA

View Full Version : Coris wrasse owners

Grouperhead
05/15/2008, 11:23 AM
I just added a changling (4") C. gaimard to my 110. He's still got a little white on his face, but his red is turning dark and he's developing his blue spots. My question is this - how often and long do yours stay burried? I added him, and he immediately shot for the sand. He'll come out every now and again, but will shoot for the sand at the slightest of outside movements. He's definately shown interest in food (ate a few mysis and some krill), so I'm not to worried about that. I can see where he's been burried in the sand through the underside of the tank, and he hasn't moved in 48+ hrs. Anything to worry about?

BTW, the other inhabitants are a blue line grouper (4"), and banded moray (E. polyzona - 14".) And I am not planning on any other fish.

prime99
05/15/2008, 07:58 PM
I have a 2.5" juvenile and he buries himself everynight, but he is always out the next day. He stays out an average of ten hours a day. I got him when he was a small juvenile, so he acclimated pretty quickly. I think yours is just taking longer to acclimate because it's older. I wouldn't worry yet, I had a dragon wrasse that stayed buried for four days and he came out on his own and in good health.

Grouperhead
05/15/2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not too worried yet. It's only been two days, and like you said he's older. The lfs also got him as a trade in from another customer, so maybe that's why he's taking a bit longer? I'm just ready for him to come out, he adds so much color and movement to the tank.

FishtankAndy
05/15/2008, 10:32 PM
He'll eventually get used to the movement and come out on a regular basis.

When they get older and get used to your interactions, they'll stay out unless sleeping.

I had an adult (at close to 14") and the only time he'd bury himself was when I turned the lights out. As soon as the lights would come back on, the next day, he peek out for a while and then swim all day.

Grouperhead
05/16/2008, 08:46 AM
Still burried this morning. Not really going to worry unless I don't see him for a week. He was eating before he went on this little "vacation", so that's another positive. I'll let y'all know when he emerges.

Grouperhead
05/17/2008, 09:24 AM
Ahh, he came out this morning. Been buried since Tuesday. Going to let him chill for the weekend and get used to the tank, then feed everyone Monday (don't want to scare him by feeding and not see him for even longer this time.)