PDA

View Full Version : Any Aquatronica Users?

tonyespinoza
05/15/2008, 01:56 PM
I am aware of the options (ACIII, biomatrix, reef keeper elite, and the current flavor of the month profilux)... but am considering the Aquatronica.

Any users? Interested in hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly before I drop some serious coin. :-)

Some specific features I'd like (apart from the normal stuff):

- web interface
- SMS and email alerts
- salinity probe
- water leak detectors
- integrated dosing pumps

Bebo77
05/15/2008, 02:52 PM
i have one... to be honest.. if i were to do it now i would probably go with the profilux...

tonyespinoza
05/15/2008, 04:09 PM
The grass is always greener, eh? :-)

I don't care about things like dimmable T5's and LED sticks. I confirmed with the distributor (Michael?) that their fans don't work on eurobracing as well. I *do* need web access since I don't carry a laptop.

Interested to hear the things your not happy about with the Aquatronica. Also interested to hear the things you envy about the Profilux (apart from lighting and fans...).

ReefRockerLive
05/15/2008, 04:22 PM
Take a look at the Aquatonica sponsor forums, you'll see a lot more issue related posts when compared to the GHL forum. The service you'll get from GHL is the absolute best. The SMS module will be released soon for the Profilux along with their peltier chillers. Not much is known about the web interface, but I think it's better to wait for a stable product than to have a rushed web interface.

snorvich
05/15/2008, 04:50 PM
I have two of them and they are ok. I had one fail and it was instantly replaced by AO so no issues there. The dosing pumps are excellent; the probes are ok but need calibration frequently. The computer program is very nice to interface with a PC. In general, I am pleased. Is there better? Perhaps.

tonyespinoza
05/16/2008, 12:45 AM
hey reefrocker - have you used an aquatronica?

steve - thanks for the scoop. how often do you have to recal? are you talking about pH and ORP or others too?

ReefRockerLive
05/16/2008, 12:57 AM
No I haven't used one, but this was one of the controllers I was considering to buy until I saw the issues on the Aquatonica forum, so I went with Profilux instead.

tonyespinoza
05/16/2008, 01:09 AM
i hear ya. thanks for the heads up!

do you know if the profilux has a "leak" detector? don't see one on their site. i'd feel way better on vacation if i had a way to know if my sump/tank or external skimmer area had a leak or overflow.

i think it's really weird that they'd build fans and LEDs and stuff and not cover the basics (web interface, SMS). i hope i'm wrong about the leak detection and they've done that...

the chiller is interesting, in fact, i plan to use a couple of Geotronics, since their announced sizes aren't big enough for the tank i'm building. (doubt there's any advantage to running them with their controller anyway...)

Volcano1
05/16/2008, 01:15 AM
Worst part I encountered was a dead control panel.Replaced quickly. Only other main issue is the salinity probe. Works great for a while then stars rusting and eventually seems to go kaput. Wished they would find a differant probe supplier.Purchased before becuase they could be updated and new firmware loaded. Prices have dropped since I got mine and haven't shopped lately to see whats out there.Support has been good with any problems.HTH

Todd

tonyespinoza
05/16/2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks Todd. Definitely helpful. Maybe I'll skip the salinity monitor.

Bebo77
05/16/2008, 08:37 AM
When i first set up the Aquatronica i went through 3 controllers... AO sent me a new one every time... great customer service but man... it gets old after a while...

when doing updates its easy to make your controller freeze...

the controller has been solid for me for a year or more... so to that degree i like it... wish it could control tunze's and do more with lights other then turn them on and off...

tonyespinoza
05/16/2008, 08:39 AM
gotcha. thanks for the specifics gabriel. (your tank thread was awesome btw!!!!)