PDA

View Full Version : anemone id and help!!!!

littletruong
05/15/2008, 08:49 PM
okay so i got this anemone like 2 weeks ago, and its been having a hard time. Everything else in my tank is doing fine and thriving.
Well to begin im not sure what anemone it is but i was told it was a bta but i dont think it is. But when i first bought it, it had his mouth open, and i know thats a bad sign. But now his mouth is slowly closed up. He has yet to eat ever since i've put him in the tank. I tried to feed it silversides soaked in selcon but it just doesn't eat it. i even tried target feeding it with mysis and still nothing. His foot has not attached to anything and that i'm very worried about. and today it was spitting out something that was like a brown strandish thing. here are some pics.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/littletruong/saltwaterpics051.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/littletruong/saltwaterpics050.jpg

My parameters
salinity: 1.022
nitrate/nitrite: 0
ph 8
temp: 80-82
any help would be appreciated.
So in short
what anemone is it? whats the brown thing it was spitting out? and what is going on with it?? and is there anything i can do?

Toddrtrex
05/15/2008, 08:53 PM
It is an LTA ( Macrodactyla doreensis ).

Should raise your salinity up to 1.025.

How deep is your sand bed? They prefer their foot in a deeper sand bed.

How long has your tank been set up, and what lights are you using?

littletruong
05/15/2008, 08:55 PM
sand bed is about 4 inches deep, tank has been setup for like 6 months and im using 2 175watt 20k MH and actinincs.

should i try putting its foot in the sandbed?
oh and my mistake the salinity is at 1.023.. misread it. but thats still not 1.025

oh and any idea of what that brown strand thing was??

Toddrtrex
05/15/2008, 08:58 PM
Digging a hole for it is a good idea.

Its color is a little on the light side, what type of lights was it under? You may have to reduce your photo period, or raise the lights up.

littletruong
05/15/2008, 09:00 PM
what type of lights was it under meaning before i got it or right now? if so its under the 175w mh and actinics

Toddrtrex
05/15/2008, 09:01 PM
When you bought it, what type of lights was it under then?

littletruong
05/15/2008, 09:03 PM
im not sure, the guy i got it from had it under one of those big metal halide lighting fixture, i believe it was higher than 20k if that exists..

Toddrtrex
05/15/2008, 09:15 PM
At least it was MH, so you should be alright.

In that first picture there looks like that is an RBTA in the background --- suggest moving the LTA away from it, one of them will take the brunt of the battle b/t the two if they start touching.

littletruong
05/15/2008, 09:58 PM
okay thanks for the info, i just moved the LTA away from the rbta. Thanks for the info, now that i look at the LTA, his mouth is still open like a nickel size in diameter..

Toddrtrex
05/15/2008, 10:00 PM
Was the mouth open before you moved it? If it just opened up from you moving it, that isn't that big of a deal. However, if it has been open the whole time.....

littletruong
05/15/2008, 10:14 PM
i want to say that it might have been opened...