PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a 60"x18"x26" Tank (120 Gallon XH)

MeuserReef
05/16/2008, 03:21 PM
Im setting up a 120XH reef tank (60"x18"x26") and am trying to decide on my lighting configuration.

I already have (2) 150W DE MH Lamps on my current tank that I would like to use. The plan is to reuse these on the new tank (to save both on initial expense, and to keep the operating costs down). I will be upgrading the reflectors to makimize output and will be switching from the Phoenix 14K to the AB 10K lamps in an effort to squeeze the absolute maximum PAR out of my 150W lamps.

To offset the switch from 14K to 10K on the halides, I would like to add (8) 24W T5HO actinic lamps to offset the whiter light that I will be getting from the MH.

Im hoping to get some feedback on the proposed lighting configuration that I have illustrated below. Obviously there will be a shadow where the plastic center brace is, but Im considering a modification that will replace it with clear acrylic. If I go that route, I will probably use (4) 48" 54W T5 bulbs instead of the (8) 24W bulbs.

(2) 150W MH w/ (8) 24W T5HO Bulbs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/120Lightingproposed.jpg

VisionsSS
05/16/2008, 04:13 PM
First I would reccomend going with the 48" bulbs since you will have a break in light with the 24" anyway. You will not see a shadow. I would be more concerned if you were doing a MH directly over the center brace but with T5's it will be much easier to just go 4 bulbs.

Also the center brace mod is very easy/cheap so I wouldn't let that sway you.

As far as using the 150w MH for your new tank. I really don't think you will get the appropriate light penatration for a 26" deep tank. This of course would depend on what you actually plan to keep in the tank but if you do a lil' searching you'll probably find 250w MH to be a lil' more appropriate for your new tank.

MeuserReef
05/16/2008, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12554296#post12554296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VisionsSS
First I would reccomend going with the 48" bulbs since you will have a break in light with the 24" anyway. You will not see a shadow. I would be more concerned if you were doing a MH directly over the center brace but with T5's it will be much easier to just go 4 bulbs.

Also the center brace mod is very easy/cheap so I wouldn't let that sway you.

As far as using the 150w MH for your new tank. I really don't think you will get the appropriate light penatration for a 26" deep tank. This of course would depend on what you actually plan to keep in the tank but if you do a lil' searching you'll probably find 250w MH to be a lil' more appropriate for your new tank.

Thanks for the input. I honestly had full intentions on running my existing 150W bulbs.... but just scored a sweet deal on a pair of 250W electronic ballasts! Funny how some things work out!