PDA

View Full Version : Ocean direct sand problem!

Sir Crabby
05/16/2008, 08:46 PM
Has anyone had any problems with this sand? I just put 320 lbs in a 350 gal tank and it took 5 days to clear and everything was covered in fine silt. Put a couple rocks in and moved some sand with no pumps running and I cant see in the tank to place the rest of my rocks. Any ideas on what to do?

demonsp
05/16/2008, 09:25 PM
Sounds normal. Your flow should be enough to barley kick up the surface of the SB and then in time it will settle and filter out. After you get some algea and other life in there. Useing a HOB media filter to help remove the fine particales.

Its water then LR then sand then let cycle.

widmer
05/16/2008, 09:35 PM
Like demonsp says, that's normal. The few times I've set up a brand new reef, I always take a 5 gallon bucket, put some sand in, run some tap water in and stir it so all the super fine particles get suspended and then pour that off. "Lather, rinse, repeat" for a few times (don't misinterpret that and use any sort of soap) before adding it to the aquarium. It makes the water in the tank clear up a lot quicker.

demonsp
05/16/2008, 09:48 PM
I would not rinse any LS and if you do use RO water. LS though its a 50 50 chance its actually live or how much die off there is so just add in to reduce any further dieoff.

Dont rush it. Sounds like this may have spooked you a little. Try and research any new step before you proceed and knowing what could happen means your one step ahead and not 2 steps behind. Measure 3 times and proceed once.
Or youll be in for a headache filled wallet emptying ride from h e double hockey stocks...............