PDA

View Full Version : newbie:Got water got sand now what?

gea0119
05/17/2008, 04:52 AM
what comes next?

cdbias2
05/17/2008, 04:53 AM
Rock first-place on bottom glass
sand second-place around rock
water third.

gea0119
05/17/2008, 04:56 AM
Thank you.all this on the same day?what about a powerhead to get things moving.What kind do you suggest for a 26 gallon?

cdbias2
05/17/2008, 05:10 AM
Same day. No need to prolong the cycle.
Yes, with pumps, powerheads and heater.
Lots of pumps but little light.

gea0119
05/17/2008, 05:21 AM
When does the protein skimmer and canister filter come in to play?I haven't bought anything but the tank and water any suggestions?
Thank You

RyanMKintz
05/17/2008, 05:26 AM
I would put a protein skimmer when you get live rock incase you have some die off, but not that important if you dont have any fish

gea0119
05/17/2008, 05:44 AM
Nope no fish yet.Not even thinking about them.I have made daily trips to different fish stores to fill the void.I got my eye on some mushrooms.Whch are cool for a new setup?

Jon Evans
05/17/2008, 07:58 AM
RyanMKintz, I'm about a half hour south of you in Massillon. Go CAVS!

jfro
05/17/2008, 10:30 AM
Take your time and make sure you have your equipment on hand first: Protein Skimmer, Heater, Power Heads, Test Kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & PH), Salinity meter or Refractometer (preferred). You'll need to determine what kind of tank you want - that will help you figure out what equipment to get. Lighting can be expensive - some corals require intense light. No livestock yet.

Once you have the equipment, set up your tank - then mix the saltwater and heat it. Now get your Live Rock and aquascape your tank. Make sure it is soldily put together.

Next, add your water, start the protein skimmer and the power heads - put your lights on a timer, but use them sparingly to start (otherwise you'll get an algae bloom). Wait a couple days and start testing your water. I'd wait for the ammonia and nitrites to get to zero, then add sand - ensure quite a bit is live sand.

Get a maintenance routine down and continue testing your water. Despite your best efforts, you'll still get an algae bloom. Now order a clean-up crew - online vendors make packages good for all szes of tanks.

Give them a couple weeks to clean-up your tank and start adding livestock slowly.

This is very, very brief. Take your time and read, read, read. Many of us, including me, have spent thousands of dollars as wev'e learned and modified our equipment and upgraded our tanks. The more you know up front the more direct you can be heading toward your ultimate set-up.

Good luck - it's an addicting hobby:)

jfro
05/17/2008, 10:33 AM
I forgot to add that you should do frequent water changes while your rock cures (this just means while the dead stuff decays and the live stuff gets more vibrant). A little change every few days should be fine.

gea0119
05/17/2008, 05:00 PM
Thank you sooo muccchhh.I'm ready.I got a fluval canister 204, a CPR protein skimmer.I know im gonna need better light cause I only have a 20w right now.I bought my water premixed.I got some 45lbs of rocks but I got them from a friend who let them sit out in the sun and dry up.They are in the tub of water with a lil bleach getting ready for about 7 days.I do have to get new powerheads because the one I have has a bad cord.Any suggestions on a 29g powerhead brand???

oceanparadise1
05/17/2008, 05:03 PM
mj1200 they are awsome a lil pricey but worth it i love mine

gea0119
05/17/2008, 05:08 PM
are they $20.Thats what I got when i googled online.

Chibils
05/17/2008, 07:04 PM
About that. I would suggest a Koralia Nano or Koralia 1 for a 26G tank. Maxijets are cheap, but work fine. They shoot linear streams of water. A Koralia will spread the water out, ensuring that it gives gentle flow over everyone.

gea0119
05/18/2008, 08:06 AM
that swhat im going with. koralia.thanks.